The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new. Here, that is, not to aquariums. But I'm jumping back in after some time away.

I am planning a ~30g planted tank with CO2 and strong lighting to really push plant growth and nice coloration. But after the plants have filled in and the time comes to add livestock, I don't know what I would add. The fw fish I like and have kept in the past--small, peaceful schooling fish like tetras and rasboras--tend to live in habitats with lower light, and I'd rather have no fish than unhappy fish.

For those of you with strong lighting (such as the Kessil A360X Tuna Sun), do you keep fish at all?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Any fish that lives in sunlight can handle anything in our tanks. The sun is many times brighter than our lights. To give an example, the sun will be somewhere around 1600 to 2000 ppfd. Whereas high lighting in our tanks tend to be 50-300 ppfd at substrate. Thus simply avoid nocturnal fish or provide lots of hiding spots during the day for nocturnal fish to hide like they do in the wild.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yah, my tetras and rasboras never seemed to care, nor the rainbows, the cories, the yoyo loaches, the angelfish, cichlids, white clouds, danios, guppies, pea puffers, bettas, otos... Diurnal fish, especially those that are captive-bred, do fine in planted tank lighting.

The only fish that seem to care at all about the light are the rubber lip pleco and the khuli loaches, which are more nocturnal, so they have driftwood caves in the scape to sleep in all day. They come out for dinner in the evening when the lights are just starting to dim (I have a programmed "sunset" fade-out) and are healthy and seem perfectly content since it matches up with their natural behavior to do that.

Keep in mind that in most planted tanks (except those carpet-only style ones), there are loads of shaded hiding places, like would occur in nature. So fish have the choice to be in the shade or the "sun", as they like.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If you're super concerned, I'd probably use fish that are used to clear water as opposed to tinted water (blackwater). Think fish like Danio tinwini and Celestial Pearl Danios, and less chili rasbora.

·
Banned
35 Planted Aquariums
37 Posts
As long as there is cover and normal daytime/nighttime sequence you should be totally fine as long as your not using some type of stadium spotlight lol. Many fish farms use natural sunlight with little to no cover - but fish that especially like light in MY experience were like rainbow fish including pseudomugil. They get crazy colors from it especially in the morning when the lights come on.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Everyone hates them but in most of the elementary school tanks I set up and maintained before retiring I used male endlers and guppies (no females) and they loved playing in the light. I've also had good luck with rummynose tetra and harlequin rasbora. My friend has had good luck with killifish so long as there's good mid height plants they can dart in and out of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.