The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed one of my cardinal tetras was missing last night, but I thought nothing of it because there's usually always one hiding in the plants or something. However, when I went to feed this morning, the one hiding did not come out, and so after a bit of poking around, I found him (or her) and to my surprise, it's spine was curved (looking from the top - there is little to no curvature from the side) Well, technically, when it's not moving, the spine is pretty straight, but when it tries to swim, it curved over at an awkward angle and the swimming motion was more of a spasm than anything.

Can fish TB set in so quickly? This is literally within 24 hours. And the fish has great coloration, not missing scales or lesions, and looks otherwise healthy - though very weak and laying on it's side - which does not match the other symptoms of fish TB. I have no added fish for two weeks, and the last two otos I got came from an extremely healthy planted tank. My fish are never really overly stressed, so I'm not sure how this came to be.

Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if I'm diagnosing this correctly. What scares me is that I've been putting my hand in the tank constantly to replant stuff, etc.

Ammonia/nitrites 0, nitrates ~15ppm, pH is 6.4

I would get a picture, but I loaned my camera to a friend for the weekend. If you need any further descriptions though, lemme know. I feed NLS pellets btw, so I guess nutrient deficiency is out of the picture.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Fish TB can set in that quick. One day the fish can look as healthy as can be and the next look terrible or even be dead.

As far as having your hand in the tank you have very very little to worry about. If you have no open wounds on your hand you will likely be fine. Even if you happen to catch fish TB, it is quite different than the human version. I know a guy who caught it and he's just fine, the only thing he had was a sore on his hand in the location where he had the cut and the TB got in. Simple cream med from the doc and he's fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I was freaking out a little too much. I washed everything tank-related in chlorine and soaked my hand in rubbing alcohol ;)

It's just that I've read these CRAZY stories about people having to get fingers amputated from an infection gone bad, but I guess that's because it went untreated (properly) for so long. If I see any red sores, I guess I will let my doctor know asap ;)

Will give an update tomorrow or something. So far there appears to be no change. I have the fellow quarantined in a floating bowl. One of the other cardinal tetras is acting a little weird too, but it may just be because he always get the lion's share of the food and is thus kinda fat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.