The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember last year running my new 33 gallon bedroom tank with high-output t5's kept my bedroom warm throughout the winter, almost 5 degrees over the thermostat.

Its like having a perpetual space heater.

I wanted to know if anyone else in the northern hemisphere has noticed the joys of having an aquarium in their bedroom.
I'll change my lighting schedule soon from 2:30pm to 7:00pm (2 hour o2/co2 breaK) 9:00pm to 12:30am.

-Gordon

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Yea my room is also the warmest in the house during the winter, and the hottest during the summer though.

Got 3 small tanks; one of which is open top, and I also run a cold humidifier on low during the winter.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
We run the air conditioning most of the year where I live, so every electric device just produces more heat we have to pump out. I envy you. ;)

I was recently reading about folks up North who also disconnect their dryer exhaust conduit from the wall, to get the extra bit of heat and humidity in the house during laundry time..

·
Registered
529 Posts
I was recently reading about folks up North who also disconnect their dryer exhaust conduit from the wall, to get the extra bit of heat and humidity in the house during laundry time..
Now that's a thought. We've never done that. But on the rare occasion we bake something in the oven, we'll leave the oven door propped open when we're done cooking, turn off the stove, and let the residual heat vent out into the kitchen.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
How do they address the lint that blows past the lint trap?

Open stove & burners on,.... "Getto" fireplace. We did that in a house we rented in college, cheap landlord keep the heat at the lowest legal setting...when the furnace did work.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
We get plenty of humidity in our air in the winter already and as it is now Fall, we're already having problems with condensation on the windows (older house with aluminum windows) so no, we don't enjoy the extra heat, plus our natural gas furnace is much more efficient/cheaper than the electric heaters in the tanks.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I remember last year running my new 33 gallon bedroom tank with high-output t5's kept my bedroom warm throughout the winter, almost 5 degrees over the thermostat.

Its like having a perpetual space heater.

I wanted to know if anyone else in the northern hemisphere has noticed the joys of having an aquarium in their bedroom.
I'll change my lighting schedule soon from 2:30pm to 7:00pm (2 hour o2/co2 breaK) 9:00pm to 12:30am.

-Gordon
For sure. With 5 fish tanks, and 6 reptile tanks, our room is a good 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. Good in the winter, bad in the summer when we still have to use a window unit AC even with the central air on.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't have my tank in the bedroom. However between my wife's O2 concentrator and my overclocked computer running Folding at Home 24/7, my room is by far the warmest room in the house during winter. I plan on getting some more T5HOs for my house plants and it should help keep the living room a tad bit warmer along with the 47" LCD TV and my tank.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I cant even run my lights during the day. At least in summer. Or I'll cook my fish...
Even without lights the water temp during the day is ridiculous... I've seen it reach levels that should have killed all my fish and shrimp...
It always confuses people why my lights on my tank are still on at 4 in the morning..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Heck I used to go in to my fish room just to warm up! With a ~40% efficient furnace.....we couldn't afford to keep the whole house heated above 56 or so in the dead of winter. My aquariums kept the fish room a comfortable 70-72.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.