The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 gallon, planted with a cave, and I was wondering what fish could go with the shrimp colony I have in there? I was thinking some scarlet dario or black tiger dario.

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almost all fish will pick off shrimplets but if you're planted well enough most nano schoolers under an inch do pretty well with shrimp colonies with relatively few casualties.
Ok, i think i might just go the shrimp tank route where I dont get fish. I'll probs do invert tankmates. Thanks!

Endlers go really with a shrimp colony.
I dont think they could go in my tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 7 gallon, planted with a cave, and I was wondering what fish could go with the shrimp colony I have in there? I was thinking some scarlet dario or black tiger dario.

THANK YOU!
Ember Tetras are what I keep with my 200+ shrimp in my 10g tank. I have 8 of them and they are super peaceful. They have never bothered any of my shrimp. You could also do a trio of honey gouramis in there as well. 1m2f. I have had honeys with shrimp with also no issues.

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
Rule of thumb: No fish is 100% safe with shrimp. Some people, myself included, have had good luck keeping fish and shrimp together. But this doesn't mean even the tiniest fish won't harass and/or kill adult shrimp that are 2-3 times larger than them.

If you want a shrimp tank? Keep a shrimp tank without fish. If you want a fish tank with shrimp, you have to accept that there will be predation - and not just on young. Just the nature of the beast... or, really, it's just nature.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
White Cloud Mountain Minnows are hardy, small, totally non-aggressive and will ignore the shrimp. They also like tank parameters that are "shrimp ideal".
I second this. Though I don't have a huge group of shrimp, I have kept both Amanos and the blue dream shrimp and my large school of White Clouds, which is all I have in the tank, have left them alone. I plan on adding a huge group of Cherries or Blue dream shrimp soon.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Another option that is working for me is harlequin rasboras. I have 9 in a 10g with a RCS colony. I have never seen them pick on the adults, and I haven't seen them poking around in the plants hunting for shrimplets - that said, I only see the tank for 6-8 hours a day as it's right beside my workstation. Who knows what goes on when the office lights are off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.