The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I was wondering if you could give me some help on choosing some fish for my tank. It's 29 gallons and my water right out of the tap is around 6.4pH and REALLY hard!! About 425ppm. I think my pH would be good for tetras am I right? Would angels do well in this pH. Any other suggestions for fish that would do well in these conditions? I do think if I went with fish such as angels or tetras I would have to lower my water hardness right?

Thanks for the help!
Andy:)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The ph would work for these fish but they like softer water. I have lived out in the country with well water, which is extremely hard, and my tetras did really well. I don't think the angelfish would do as well in the hardwater. Neon and cardinal tetras should really use softer water, beside that most other tetras would be fine. You could also raise try some barbs or rasboras.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll re-try my tests. I have a well so maybe that has something to do with it. I used a Mardel test kit that tests for Clorine, Nitrate, dH, and pH. I thought Mardel was a good brand. Anyway, like I said, I'll re-try my tests in the morning and see what I get.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Apistogramma cacatuoides , Great fish for a 29gal. Get 1 male and 2 females. When they breed you will have a colony. Great fish, great colors, and will do ok with small target fish. I have white clouds with mine and love them.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Generally, both - plus a higher than nuetral pH.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay everyone, I re-did my tests this morning and I still got the same results. Water is still very hard and pH is around 6.4-6.8.

So I don't know whats up with my water but apparently its weird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts