The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 gallon (approx) tank that I am going to use for a pea puffer. My problem is that I will be away for 11/12 days at the end of December and I have nobody to come feed the puffer. As a result, I am thinking I should wait until I am back to get it. That is unless you think it would survive that long (if I added a bunch of snails or something).

My tank has finally cycled and I don't want to be adding ammonia from a bottle. I have another 10 gallon tank that has 2 male guppies and 5 neon tetras.

I was going to move the two guppies over to this tank to keep some ammonia going so it stays cycled or possibly buy another fish or two for the 7 gallon for now and move it over to the 10 gallon later. That might make the 10 gallon a little over crowded though.

I was going to get an oto to go in the 7 gallon but do they really give off much waste to keep things cycled?

Suggestions?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
I dont think an oto will keep it cycled. They eat algea but they are a small fish so not that much. You could go with the guppies but you said you have to leave and I wouldnt leave any fish 11-12 days with no food. You could try an automatic feeder just to keep putting fish food in the tank to keep the cycle going or something. But other than that you might lose the cycle if you dont feed for 11 days

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
While I am gone I am planning to get one of those vacation pellets things. I am not sure if they really work but the LFS person said it would be fine to drop one of them in for the time away and the fish would be fine.

Ideally I would like fish in both tank and then I will do something with whatever goes into my 7 gallon so I can add a pea puffer upon my return.

I guess the best thing to do is just move the guppies. Two of them in a 7 gallon with a vacation feeder should be fine while I am away?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
While I am gone I am planning to get one of those vacation pellets things. I am not sure if they really work but the LFS person said it would be fine to drop one of them in for the time away and the fish would be fine.

Ideally I would like fish in both tank and then I will do something with whatever goes into my 7 gallon so I can add a pea puffer upon my return.

I guess the best thing to do is just move the guppies. Two of them in a 7 gallon with a vacation feeder should be fine while I am away?
That should be fine IMO

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
typically IF you lower the heaters temp near the coolest tolerable temp for the most high maintanence fish in the tank you can get away with a 7 day "tank fasting", just feed well for a few days before you go.

of course there are some fish like pea puffers that always seem hungry and do need to eat allot and for the P. puff I would add pleny of snails and leave for 7 days

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.