The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a small fish with a few attributes.

So far I’ve come up with nothing to be honest, maybe a Pygmy Puffer possibly.

I’m after a fish for my Nano cube, 30L, planted, that’ll eat away at baby snails but ideally not at shrimps, that’s where I come at a dead end.

Also something that ideally won’t decide to bury themselves, had a Kuhli Loach that actually ruined an entire fully established carpet but digging through all the roots, I’ve just rescape and planted Monte Carlo for a carpet so would like to keep this perfect as it is.

Any other ideas for baby snails would be appreciated, want to stay away from chemicals etc though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Puffers love snails, but some will bully shrimp, even if the shrimp are bigger than them. Pea and pygmy are pretty peaceful, just understand that there is that risk. A good thing about them is they're not very fast so usually they are easily avoided.

·
Registered
349 Posts
a few Assassin snails? Then get a fish you like that wont eat your shrimp...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Puffers love snails, but some will bully shrimp, even if the shrimp are bigger than them. Pea and pygmy are pretty peaceful, just understand that there is that risk. A good thing about them is they're not very fast so usually they are easily avoided.
I may go for a Pygmy puffer & see what happens, as long as they don’t bother the bigger shrimp I’m fine with that, by the time I’m expecting baby shrimps I expect my Monte Carlo to be fully carpeted, that should give them enough cover if needed.

My main concern is any burrowing which I did read Pygmy’s do but now I can’t find the source, my LFS said he’s never seen that so maybe I misread something

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've never seen them burrow but I have seen them tear at plants. If your carpet is fully rooted they are most likely going to be too small to really do any damage- if they are immature and not fully rooted you would probably wind up with no plants left in the substrate. That's from personal and unfortunate experience.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Agreed on assassin snails. I have the impression that any creature that would eat shrimp and/or snails would preferentially go for the shrimp (easier to access) unless it already has the equipment for snails.

You could also bait out all of the snails and feed less.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed my mind on a Pygmy puffer in the end, I’m going to try a physical way of removing by baiting with food and removing after a night in the tank, I may even remove the few Nerites to stop any further breeding and eventually they’ll die off fingers crossed

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Nerites won't breed in aquariums (doesn't mean you won't get egg deposits on glass). I don't blame you for the bait and kill, make sure to squash them all so they don't go all invasive species on you, though. It might take a little patience, but not as much patience as replanting plants over and over lol. Good luck!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nerites won't breed in aquariums (doesn't mean you won't get egg deposits on glass). I don't blame you for the bait and kill, make sure to squash them all so they don't go all invasive species on you, though. It might take a little patience, but not as much patience as replanting plants over and over lol. Good luck!!
I always thought Nerites wouldn’t breed but they most definitely have, I have seen the baby snails grow & I kept one to see what it was & it grew into a fully sized Nerite! I’ve never seen it happen, maybe it was bought along with a plant or something, but in definitely not wanting snails now, I don’t see them doing much algae cleaning, no more than I can do once a week with a 2 minute wipe of the glass, growing a shrimp army instead to help with that, much more interesting to watch than the snails

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've never had Nerites breed before... Mystery, ramshorns, pond, and just about all others, yes. That's an odd one, guess it does happen, though. I've never been one to shun a snail invasion, though. I've never had them do anything but clean up the junk I've neglected and then they disappear (for the most). I imagine I'm going to feel a lot different about it when it set up my shrimp tank, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad you decided against the puffer pea/pygmy/malabar/dwarf pufferfish - they are a threatened species and are severely overfished to serve the aquarium trade. I'm hoping breeding programs will increase so they'll stop being taken from the wild.
Good luck on your snail hunt!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I always thought Nerites wouldn’t breed but they most definitely have, I have seen the baby snails grow & I kept one to see what it was & it grew into a fully sized Nerite! I’ve never seen it happen, maybe it was bought along with a plant or something, but in definitely not wanting snails now, I don’t see them doing much algae cleaning, no more than I can do once a week with a 2 minute wipe of the glass, growing a shrimp army instead to help with that, much more interesting to watch than the snails

Do you have a salt based water softener? Nerite eggs hatch out in brackish water in the wild.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.