The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved from NY to Maryland (Howard County) in the summer and fish selection and condition at Petco & Petsmart are aweful. Whenever I go there, I see at least a few dead fish and the only fish that are thriving seem goldies.

There seem to be only two LFS's not too far from my home: House of Tropicals and Congressional Aquarium. Are they worth visiting? I'm interested in Dwarf Cichlids & Corys.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check out Exotic Aquatics...

Very nice selection of livestock.

Plant selection is limited but you can usually find cool stuff..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congressional is _well_ worth the trip. They recently (past couple years) moved a few storefronts down, and have a ton more space now. I'm planning a trip down there "soon" (I'm in Frederick), since there's not much selection within a few miles of me. You know how you get a "vibe" about stores? Congressional gave me a really good one, and at least the staff I've dealt with are knowledgable and willing to help out. Aisles and aisles of livestock tanks, 3-4 tanks high, and if I did happen to (rarely) find a dead fish, they'd promptly attend to it

I'm not really into marine, but they seemed to also have a decent selection on that front.

(No connection other than being a happy customer)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If you live in Howard County, you might consider Aquarium Depot in Randallstown. It looks like they are currently renovating but, they are still one of the better ones to visit. I live 64 miles from them and still go there occasionally because in Northern Virginia, Petco and Petsmart have squeezed out any decent LFS.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read not-so-positive reviews of Aquarium Depot.

My office is in Baltimore. I'll check out Exotic Aquatics also. Congressional seems the best place in MD. It's less than 20 miles from me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Another one

I've read not-so-positive reviews of Aquarium Depot.

My office is in Baltimore. I'll check out Exotic Aquatics also. Congressional seems the best place in MD. It's less than 20 miles from me.
I liked House of Tropicals, the one time I was there. Near BWI.

I prefer Tropical Fish World to Congressional, but both are good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts