The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fish shopping!

829 3
Hey guys, :flick:

I currently have a 44 gallon (200L) aquarium with the following setup:

- 3 Bolivian Rams
- 1 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (I thought this would be the show stopper but it only grew to 2 inches)
- 9 Neon Tetras
- 6 Black Phantom Tetras
- 3 Otocinclus
- 1 Amano Shrimp
- 1 Zebra Snail

As you can see, it's a decent setup but I want to get a/some new fish to bring the tank back to life again :confused1:. Ideally something relatively peaceful (mild aggression is normal I guess), colourful/patterened and will cohabit nicely in my tank.

What do you guys suggest??? :)

Note:
- ALL bottom feeders are out of the question as I've had them before and I have difficulty feeding them in my tank.
- I've had gouramis before but the right ones won't be out of the question :fish:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Hey guys, :flick:

I currently have a 44 gallon (200L) aquarium with the following setup:

- 3 Bolivian Rams
- 1 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (I thought this would be the show stopper but it only grew to 2 inches)
- 9 Neon Tetras
- 6 Black Phantom Tetras
- 3 Otocinclus
- 1 Amano Shrimp
- 1 Zebra Snail

As you can see, it's a decent setup but I want to get a/some new fish to bring the tank back to life again :confused1:. Ideally something relatively peaceful (mild aggression is normal I guess), colourful/patterened and will cohabit nicely in my tank.

What do you guys suggest??? :)

Note:
- ALL bottom feeders are out of the question as I've had them before and I have difficulty feeding them in my tank.
- I've had gouramis before but the right ones won't be out of the question :fish:
Hmmm.... When you say "bring the tank back to life", what are you looking to do exactly? Add movement/color? Revamp your own interest in it? Step up the level of difficulty/challenge? Change the aesthetic/feel of the tank?

And also, instead of immediately going to new fish, why not try some new plants/decor? I'd argue that this would go farther towards perking up the aquarium than simply adding a new fish or two. Also, if for no other reason, I'd add more plants/stones/wood simply to create more territories for the existing cichlids. (Note - I'm not trying to knock the tank, personally I think it looks good as is - but your cichlids will adore you for providing more territories & line-of-sight blockers)

If you're dead set on adding fish the first species to come to mind is Cories. They'd do well with the existing fish, would add lots of activity & personality, and are easy to feed. Speaking of which, what do you mean when you say you have a hard time keeping bottom feeders fed? Do you mean algae-eating bottom feeders? All you have to do with Cories is drop in a few sinking pellets, it's not rocket surgery :flick:

Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.