The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on trying to trade some fish on here soon, and I just want to make sure I have what I need to ship them safely.

I have a box, 7" x 7" x 6" that is lined on all sides with styrofoam about .5" thick. I also have breather bags and a UniHeat 20 hour heat pack.

I'm guessing all I need to do is bag the fish, put em in the box, wad up newspaper, the stick the heatpack on top of the newspaper, the styrofoam lid, then seal the box. Does that sound right? It wont gettoo warm in there?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I just want the fish to arrive safely wherever I send em.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
That will be fine for shipping to about the Mason Dixon line. Texas to Michigan will probably require a 48, 60, or 72 hour heat pack. I'm not complaining, we're still above 20 and it isn't snowing. The roads are ice, but hey, it's winter.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
if you are not shipping express then you going to need longer heat packs. i personally use 72 hour heat packs with priority mail. i also wrap up the heat pack in news paper. with breather bags its good to use a rubber band around the knot just in case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another shipping question for you all if you dont mind... Do you all label your boxes in any way? "Fragile" or "Live Shipment" or anything, or do you tend to leave the packages unlabled to prevent undue attention?

Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't recommend labeling the boxes "Live" anything. The only thing you are required to do is state that there is liquid inside and make sure you give enough attention to your packing so there are no leaks.

Using terms like "Fragile" is OK and won't cause any alarms with the people handling the packages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.