The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a fluval EBI I replaced with a nanocube sitting around for awhile and decided to take it into work to put in my cube. I've got a fluval c2 filter and a heater all ready to go but no idea what to stock it with. Probably add a sponge filter too just because I would prefer overfiltering since water changes are gonna be more effort just using pitchers between the office breakroom and the tank.

I was leaning towards just 5-7 otos since I think they should be fine not being fed anything over the weekend if I drop in an algae wafer the day before I leave, are there any other recommendations for such a setup?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was leaning towards just 5-7 otos since I think they should be fine not being fed anything over the weekend if I drop in an algae wafer the day before I leave
I wouldn't recommend otos as not all of them will take to eating algae wafers. I've seen them starve rather than eat the wafers. In my experience they've done best in tanks that grow a bit of algae, at least on the plants and decor.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
really any nano fish would be good for this type of setup, the fish can easily do a weekend without food, a longer break period might be troublesome however, but theres always automatic feeders and such to help you there, if you want a bottom dweller might i suggest Corydoras Pygmaeus, or the Corydoras Habrosus, great little fish

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not worried about them not liking algae wafers, I would be transferring these guys.

Schooling nanofish might be what I end up going with though, probably with an automatic feed since we do get 3 day weekends every other week. I have 4 neon tetra and 4 clearwhite tetras that mostly just hide hence why I was first considering otos since those are the most active fish in my 24gal nanocube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts