The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the general guidlines and exceptions, such as 1" per gallon, etc.

What is your preference? Largest fish you can get in there, or small fish for a more expansive feel?

Seems like there are two schools: fish keepers who scape, and scapers who keep fish...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd say I'm a fishkeeper who scapes.

I too like a mix. Right now I've got a 30 gallon with a bunch of Tiger Barbs and a Blue Gourami. Planning to get a RTBS once the barbs get bigger.

If I wanted big fish, I'd get a big tank. A fish would have to be pretty amazing for me to dedicate a tank to just one (large) fish I think.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I most always go with a mix similar to chirsinator. But I think it is also very cool to see a nicely scaped tank with just a big single species school. In that case I would definitely keeep to a very small size of fish of which the choices are numerous (Cardinals, Rummies, Rasboras, etc.)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
i hate the inch of fish per gallon rule, it is so wrong and out dated as there are small fish that need large tanks to thrive like most barbs and a few tetras and dwarf cichlids. tbh I'm a fish lover that happens to like plants and have been introduced to aquatic plants and scaping. I go for largest practical tank and i'll put fish that can enjoy the space given. smaller fish doesnt always mean smaller tank, do research on the fish you wish to keep before subjecting it to smaller enclosures. a good example that I find abused is the rummynose tetra. Bettas however being the most horribly miss treated fish so far in my books

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.