The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like im being allowed to have a fish "room" added to our laundry room. Its nothing huge but it shoud be fun. My question is if it sounds like a good plan? these are pics of where the tanks will go (really messy and will be cleaned up plus we need to put the wall back in ;)

and this is the plan I have:

i will build a stand level to the sink (the sink is covered in towels) that will hold two ten gallons, then on one part below Ill have a little 5 gallon tank for fry or qt or maybe shrimp idk. then I will have another shelf above with another two ten gallons. this is to breed some apistogramma species.
(the black areas are spaces already used up plus the wall that i didn't make)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bear in mind: No open tops in a laundry room. There's no way to control the minute amounts of floating powder detergents and soapy water droplets.

Now, it won't likely kill your fish or cause a catastrophe, but you might notice the water surface bubblier than normal.

I also recommend you plan to have a small stool you can stow under the stand or anywhere out of the way. You might find yourself spending quite some time sitting on it, leaning on the washing machine, watching your fish.

Cheers.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bear in mind: No open tops in a laundry room. There's no way to control the minute amounts of floating powder detergents and soapy water droplets.
I also recommend you plan to have a small stool you can stow under the stand or anywhere out of the way.
Cheers.
Didn't think of that i will definitely have to add some tops to the tanks, and in the room we also have a computer (kind of a multi purpose room) so I already have a chair close by. :)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Having the plumbing for the washing machine is a nice benefit, since you can split off of it and have a convenient water source and drain.

a couple 10 gallons seems kinda small, if whoever is cool with you partially adapting the laundry room to a fish room, maybe see if you can put in a couple of bigger tanks.

Maybe a 2-3 level stand, with big tanks (like a 40B, etc.) on the bottom, and smaller (29's, 10's, etc.) above.

If you aren't terribly concerned with making it pretty, cheap and strong stands are pretty easy to do w/ 2x4s

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I agree it does look like the cabinet will be blocking the top right tank. In your design layout what does the black box represent your washer and dryer? Also what does the gray box represent?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Are you planning on actually hanging out watching/enjoying these tanks? Or are they just there for breeding/hospital/etc.? Because personally I would not want to hang out in the laundry room to look at my tanks. In fact, I'd probably be pretty mad if I had to go down there twice a day just to feed tanks that I never get to look at.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tanks are mainly for breeding. I really can't do 40 gallon brds unless i find another spot in the house... The are is like a foot wide so nothing too wide. The largest i could go is 20s or 29s maybe. I think 10 gallons should be fine because I'm just trying to breed dwarf cichlids.

Just realized my test kits are in a Victoria Secrets bag lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.