The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 1-2 medium size fish (4"-7"), top or middle level, in a 75G river tank, preferably Asian.

I was thinking a perl gourami but the flow is a bit strong but there are calmer areas. And all the fish are fast river fish so I'm not sure if that's a good fit.

·
Registered
567 Posts
There's plenty of medium sized rainbowfish species from Southeast Asia. They love the high current and seem to stay near the top, school together, and are very active. You might look at a couple of Red Irian rainbows.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which rainbows are from asia?
I thought about rainbows too. I might cheat and get a rainbow. thanks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i like the opaline gouramis. the colors can be really pretty sometimes and i think they get 5-6"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moved my filter to the back wall so my pearl would have space between it and the front wall and now he has claimed that space as his territory. My flow is fairly strong but i just directed it along the back wall at the top so by the time it does get to him it is extremely weak

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have you thought about Rasbora pauciperforata or Rasbora rubrodorsalis. These species look awesome in large planted tanks in a nice shoal. There are also quiet a few nice Puntius sp suitable for large planted tanks.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about some loaches?

There's some really fantastic species being imported now. IMO a school of loaches would look spectacular in a 75gal tank, and be perfect with your Asian theme. :proud:
oh, there are loaches in there( 5 B. histrionica )... They like to hide during the day so they're not much fun.

I went to a lfs and they have torpedo barbs. They seems mild manner enough. I think I'll get them. The guy at the lfs told me to hold off buying because the tank has an ich outbreak. How many places does that? (very cool)

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got 3- 2 inch torpedos. Yikes, I had no idea how expensive they are. Well, I guess I saved on shipping. Hopefully I can breed them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck with the torpedos. I've always thought those were great looking fish but the price was a sticking point.

·
Registered
567 Posts
which rainbows are from asia?
I thought about rainbows too. I might cheat and get a rainbow. thanks.
Irian rainbows (Glossolepis Incisus-this is the true Irian red rainbow, but sometimes other species are sold as 'irian') are Asian, as are Bosemani, Praecox, and Turquoise rainbows. All are medium/large species and fairly easy to find. All come from the islands off southeast Asia, around New Guinea.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well, when I was in school, New Guinea and Malaysia and the surrounding islands were still considered part of the continent of Asia. =)

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HEh, a friend of mine were talking about how weird the term 'Oceania' was over the weekend. It sounds like a mythical made up place.

Speaking of which, I was away over the weekend. I just came back and found one barb dead. Like all barbs, they can be very vicious toward the injured. I guess one wasn't doing so well and it got attacked to death.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts