The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing the following from an online vendor and quarantining them for ICH before introducing them to my display.

Neon tetras
Green cory
Golden nugget pleco

Do I just add them to a sterile quarantine tank, raise the salinity and temperature to 88degrees for 2 weeks?

What salinity or s.g. do I need to achieve?

Do I need to transfer them to different tanks every few days based on the life cycle of ich or can I just leave them in the same tank for 2 weeks?

Any advice would be appreciated, so many conflicting directions online.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If they do not have ich, then you do not have to treat them.
Bare bottom, good filtration, watch for 2 weeks.
If everything is ok then transfer fish to the main tank.
If something happens then you can start to find answer for that specific problem.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
This thread may be very helpful for you to read:

Unlike with saltwater fish (I believe you have a tank?), there's not really a protocol such as 2.5 ppm copper or hybrid ttm.

Seems to me that your best bet is most likely to keep them in a quarantined tank for 30 days with observation, and if you spot something, dose Paraguard. Seems like there's salt and heat tolerant freshwater ich now so some of the info you'll find is out of date for that. It's certainly a larger headache to find proper treatment guidelines for freshwater diseases than it is for saltwater diseases.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
For my qt I use bare bottomed tanks with sponges filters. My quarantines are usually 2-3 weeks. I keep my qt tanks at 75°F, typically, and don't treat for anything unless it presents itself. I have no clue if there is "proper protocol" on quarantining, this is just how I've always done it.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I use Seachem Paraguard in quarentine with all new fish. The malachite green takes care of any possible ICH as well as gives me an indication of any latent gill or body flukes on fish. If flukes are present, the fish will rub against objects as the parasite is irritated by medication. I then know I will need a longer quarantine.
Paraguard also contains antibacterial/antiseptic properties that will inhibit growth of bacteria on areas where fish may have gotten scrapes or injuries from netting, rough handling, transportation, etc...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I just ordered Seachem Paraguard to have in handy in case I need it during observation. I'll be using Prime in case of any ammonia spikes during quarantine. Online search says it's ok to mix the two together.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I treat for internal parasites if the fish I caught were wild caught but I wouldn't treat for Ich unless you see it. Careful with medications and raising the temperature with Corydoras. Paraguard is supposed to be milder than other medications but still follow the instructions with regard to Corydoras and other scaleless fish. I would just hold the fish and watch them carefully for any signs of illness and don't treat preemptively unless you see a problem. How long you quarantine is really a personal choice based on how cautious you want to be with your existing fish. I often quarantine for 2-3 months to be safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I treat for internal parasites if the fish I caught were wild caught but I wouldn't treat for Ich unless you see it. Careful with medications and raising the temperature with Corydoras. Paraguard is supposed to be milder than other medications but still follow the instructions with regard to Corydoras and other scaleless fish. I would just hold the fish and watch them carefully for any signs of illness and don't treat preemptively unless you see a problem. How long you quarantine is really a personal choice based on how cautious you want to be with your existing fish. I often quarantine for 2-3 months to be safe.
What medication would you recommend for internal parasites? I just purchased a school of neon tetras from LFS and the employee said they were from Bangkok? No medications in the observation tank at the moment, just observing.

Seachem says to start off with reduced dose of Paraguard and slowly build up to full strength for sensitive fish like tetras and corydoras but the medication is no longer active after 24hrs so how do I build it up to full strength? Divide it up over a few hours?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.