The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So I'm trying to plan out what fish would work best in my tank. Its a 29 gallon that I have cycling now with a Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus for lighting and a HOB filter. I would ideally like to plant heavily and have some Red Cherry Shrimp, Tetras, Kuhli Loaches, Nerite Snails, and one male Betta. I like the idea of a Betta just to have one larger fish with a splash of color although I know my shrimp might not like him. I would like to have maybe one or more other type of schooling fish with the Betta as the centerpiece. I was looking at the Zebra Danios but I've read they can get nippy and territorial with a Betta and may stress him out. Any recommendations on what types of other fish might work well with these basic tankmates?

Thank you

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 10G with a male betta, some harlequin rasboras and some red cherry shrimp. I think the betta may have eaten a few of the shrimp, but he gets along totally fine with the rasboras. They seem to make great tank mates :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would go with some rasboras as well. I am recommending this to my son as well. He has a blue half moon Betta, and I think some red rasboras would add a lot of color to the tank.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
A betta can be very limiting in what can go into the tank, either things like to eat its fins, or it wants to fight.
I'd do as big a school of serpae tetras as I could fit, they love a very well planted tank. Get at least a dozen, they don't get very big.
They are super easy to keep and forgiving of parameters, but would fin nip slower fishes with large fins, and may nip at small shrimp.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Do everything except the betta first.
Once the tank adjusted to them, you can try the betta, but only if you can take it back to the shop if it doesn't work, or you can give it least a 5gal heated tank to live in.
I think one should try to never have less than a dozen schooling fish together. If I grew up in groups of hundreds of friends and suddenly find only 5 friends in the tank, I'd be worried.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think you need a pair of German Blue Rams and skip the betta. They definitely do keep my RCS population under control too ;) I like Serpaes but they are pretty nippy. I can't see a betta enjoying living alongside them

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ime with Bettas, neon tetras can get nippy. Peaceful small fish you might try include celestial pearl danios, kubotai rasboras (which school nicely), ember tetras, chili rasboras. And you'll hear stories from people about Bettas that lived in peace for two years then started stalking and injuring tank mates, hence the backup suggestion.

Personally, I'm weighing whether to have a M/F pair of dwarf gouramis as the center fish vs a betta... They're pretty, interactive, and bubble nest like a betta since they're closely related... I'm debating.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Dwarf gourami's sometimes cause trouble with plants, just FYI.
Do a search.

I had a single Opaline gourami as my centerpiece fish for a while, (40 gallon) but I got tired of his attitude with the other fish.
I had an Opaline gourmai in a Central American cichlid tank back in the late 80's and he was perfectly at home in that tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.