The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good light for a fish-only tank? I want to be able to leave it on for 10 hours a day and not have to worry about algae. There will be no plants. If algae starts, then I will diy some nitrate algae scrubbers for the sump. The tank is 72" long.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You can use almost any type of light for a fish only tank. They just need enough to see their food.

Keep the lighting on the dim side. If your looking for the least expensive lighting, a T12 shop light fixture from Home Depot or similar store will work well.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yeah, a single tube should be OK, I have a 12 gal tank that is on virtually 24/7 as I have very small fry in there that don't sleep yet.
Now and then it might form a few very light green speckles on the glass.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, this is a fish only display tank, so I am worried that a single tube on a 180g is to little. I want something that will show the fish's colors and be bright enough as a display.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The positioning of the light is quite important, too far back and you are looking at the silhouette of your fish
I'd get a bulb with lots of red in, they show colours off well. And maybe a blue underwater LED spotlight.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would go with a Current USA Satellite Plus (not the plus pro). It's a lot cheaper since the plus pro came out and has really cool lighting affects. It's programmable, so you can program the colors that work best for your fish. Since it's programmable, you can dim it to whatever percentage you wish to have thus avoiding algae problems.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If you have access to Costco or Sam's Club, they both have a "nice enough" LED shop light that is working for me. Be a bit picky to get one that doesn't hum much. They are plenty bright, use little power and will grow a moderate amount of plants at a low price ($30-35) Always nice to work in a few options like planting in case the need changes.
For the lowest cost, there should be quite a few tube lights around as people go for LED so they should be nearing free? They worked fine on many tanks for years.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about a couple of Finnex MonsterRays?

what kind of fish?
I was looking at monsterRays, but they do actaully have decent PAR, and I was worried that it would grow algae.
The fish will be angels, geophagus red head tapajos and a large school of pristella or lemon tetras, as well as a group of corys and a group of kuhli loaches.
I am looking at a programmable led like the sat plus, but also looking at a fluorescent fixture, probably with t8 bulbs, but I have had them in the past and they were way too dim for my liking.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was looking at monsterRays, but they do actaully have decent PAR, and I was worried that it would grow algae.
The fish will be angels, geophagus red head tapajos and a large school of pristella or lemon tetras, as well as a group of corys and a group of kuhli loaches.
I am looking at a programmable led like the sat plus, but also looking at a fluorescent fixture, probably with t8 bulbs, but I have had them in the past and they were way too dim for my liking.

Gotcha. I was thinking for the depth of the tank - that the MosterRay would not cause any concerns for algae. I just think they do wonders for the colors on fish

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you have access to Costco or Sam's Club, they both have a "nice enough" LED shop light that is working for me. Be a bit picky to get one that doesn't hum much. They are plenty bright, use little power and will grow a moderate amount of plants at a low price ($30-35) Always nice to work in a few options like planting in case the need changes.
For the lowest cost, there should be quite a few tube lights around as people go for LED so they should be nearing free? They worked fine on many tanks for years.
I second this...

I had two on my 125 that even grew low light plants pretty well. I own probably 6 for various uses.

Bump:
I second this...

I had two on my 125 that even grew low light plants pretty well. I own probably 6 for various uses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.