The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well As most of you know I have a goal, making $1000 by the end of the year with this hobby.

Last post I had some things I was planning to sell, So I want to give an update on everything.:D

At the end of the month I'll post the financial report. What was sold, what was bought etc etc!

Alright first thing is first,

New line of Herbivore food... - Will be all organic and natural ingredients... Things like cucumber crackers covered in good stuff thats just one of the few items I plan on trying out.... (Probably start cooking Christmass vacation week since I will have time out from school )
Just started cooking today.

Good results: I made some spinach flakes with some sucess! I kinda messed up but was able to fix it. started easy just regular spinach nothing added. If you are interested in them shoot me a PM haven't tested them out on shrimp yet, but might PM some of the bigger shrimp Gurus around to see if they will help me get it tested.

Bad results: I tried to make some "crackers" out of summer squash, zucchini, and cucumber They didn't come out as planned since I cut them toooo thick, Will try some more tomorrow probably.

Lessons learned:

1. Spinach smells HORRIBLE!:eek:
2. Use wax paper if you don't want to be washing dishes!
3. Cut things THIN!
4. once the oven gets hot you can just turn it off and leave the stuff in there.
5. Don't forget the cookie sheet is hotttttt after you take it out of the oven.
6. remember to check on spinach, Burned spinach is really really bad smelling.
7. 1 bag of spinach after boiled and baked isn't much... I'm going to need a ton of this foul smelling veggie!

In the next cooking sessions I'm going to try out making a "slurry" of good stuff and making it a flake food, We will see how this goes. So expect more updates.

Red Cherry Shrimp this spring. - They are breeding like rabbits... Should have a good number to send to others this spring. I still need to buy breather bags though.
Still the same, I got rid of some of the males since I had too many and got a bag of substrate for a CRS tank so that was worth it so far...

Crystal Red Shrimp- Depending on how they breed (just got them this week) you might see some low grades for sale, for $5 per which is quite a good price I think...
I haven't had any berried Females yet. Will be setting them up a tank so I'll let everyone know when I have sucess!

MOSS! - Well I'll have moss for sale every week; probably including Stringy, X-mass, Tiwan, Willow(s), Fissidens, Java, Spikey, Liverworts, and more... So that should help.
Have had moss for sale in the swap n' shop section, and have a few new ones coming soon this month and probably will be getting some more over the corse of the year, off the top of my head I have at the moment....

X-mass
Taiwan
Spikey
Willows (1 and 2)
Stringy
Nano - new...
Fissidens Fontanus (will have it soon...)
Java
Some unIDed liverworts

And probably forgot some I have for sale:

Stringy - $10 per golf ball
Willows - check swap n' shop thread
Nano - $25 per golf ball
Fissidens will be - $25 per golf ball

Possibly drift wood as well, Will be selling off some of my driftwood I've collected over the past year to make room under my stand and in my room So don't be surprised if you see some for sale.
Probably will see some for sale soon, Need to clear some out.

Also am looking into trying out some "new" cave type things for more agressive shrimp and crays who need a place to hide and feel at home, also to molt.
^ Still on my list of things to do...

Snail traps will probably be available soon. They are in the works... (need to find my acrylic cutter!)

Also, Needed more room so Will probably be setting up a rack sooner than expected, No gaurentee yet though:icon_neut

So Thanks for all the support! I'm sure I forgot some stuff so Will probably have stuff to add!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I didn't read the whole thing, but good luck lol.
Why don't you just get a job lol. I guess its cuz you could do this anyday you have free time. and I will be buying from you, just not yet...

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't read the whole thing, but good luck lol.
Why don't you just get a job lol. I guess its cuz you could do this anyday you have free time. and I will be buying from you, just not yet...
This is more or less just fun, I will be working two jobs this spring-fall also,

I'll probably work at my LFS, guy said he would make room for meh:D .

And some lawncare stuff for some people, $60 a yard EVERY WEEK:thumbsup: :eek: :thumbsup:

But I've always wanted to do this, so I am.... and this will look great if it goes well on my applications for things and it's something Most people my age wouldn't dare try;)

60 views-> 1 reply? I know This is only the second view for me......

Thanks for all the support!
-Andrew

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Have you seen the recipe's for homemade fish foods (to be frozen) on Greg Watson's website? PMDD store... Its under the how to Guides...

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you seen the recipe's for homemade fish foods (to be frozen) on Greg Watson's website? PMDD store... Its under the how to Guides...
Nope I haven't will have to check them out.

Mine are a bit different at the moment.. They are finishing up right now... So we'll see how they come out. In the oven there is some tasty treats that are..

Spinach enhanced with garlic flakes! (used like 3 cloves lol...)

SUPPER SMELLY FRUITY VEGGY FOOD! Smells really bad it's got lots of good stuff in it, will be testing these things soon... today/tomorrow So We'll see how the shrimp like them!

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Well As most of you know I have a goal, making $1000 by the end of the year with this hobby.

Last post I had some things I was planning to sell, So I want to give an update on everything.:D

At the end of the month I'll post the financial report. What was sold, what was bought etc etc!

Alright first thing is first,

New line of Herbivore food... - Will be all organic and natural ingredients... Things like cucumber crackers covered in good stuff thats just one of the few items I plan on trying out.... (Probably start cooking Christmass vacation week since I will have time out from school )
Just started cooking today.

Good results: I made some spinach flakes with some sucess! I kinda messed up but was able to fix it. started easy just regular spinach nothing added. If you are interested in them shoot me a PM haven't tested them out on shrimp yet, but might PM some of the bigger shrimp Gurus around to see if they will help me get it tested.

Bad results: I tried to make some "crackers" out of summer squash, zucchini, and cucumber They didn't come out as planned since I cut them toooo thick, Will try some more tomorrow probably.

Lessons learned:

1. Spinach smells HORRIBLE!:eek:
2. Use wax paper if you don't want to be washing dishes!
3. Cut things THIN!
4. once the oven gets hot you can just turn it off and leave the stuff in there.
5. Don't forget the cookie sheet is hotttttt after you take it out of the oven.
6. remember to check on spinach, Burned spinach is really really bad smelling.
7. 1 bag of spinach after boiled and baked isn't much... I'm going to need a ton of this foul smelling veggie!

In the next cooking sessions I'm going to try out making a "slurry" of good stuff and making it a flake food, We will see how this goes. So expect more updates.

Red Cherry Shrimp this spring. - They are breeding like rabbits... Should have a good number to send to others this spring. I still need to buy breather bags though.
Still the same, I got rid of some of the males since I had too many and got a bag of substrate for a CRS tank so that was worth it so far...

Crystal Red Shrimp- Depending on how they breed (just got them this week) you might see some low grades for sale, for $5 per which is quite a good price I think...
I haven't had any berried Females yet. Will be setting them up a tank so I'll let everyone know when I have sucess!

MOSS! - Well I'll have moss for sale every week; probably including Stringy, X-mass, Tiwan, Willow(s), Fissidens, Java, Spikey, Liverworts, and more... So that should help.
Have had moss for sale in the swap n' shop section, and have a few new ones coming soon this month and probably will be getting some more over the corse of the year, off the top of my head I have at the moment....

X-mass
Taiwan
Spikey
Willows (1 and 2)
Stringy
Nano - new...
Fissidens Fontanus (will have it soon...)
Java
Some unIDed liverworts

And probably forgot some I have for sale:

Stringy - $10 per golf ball
Willows - check swap n' shop thread
Nano - $25 per golf ball
Fissidens will be - $25 per golf ball

Possibly drift wood as well, Will be selling off some of my driftwood I've collected over the past year to make room under my stand and in my room So don't be surprised if you see some for sale.
Probably will see some for sale soon, Need to clear some out.

Also am looking into trying out some "new" cave type things for more agressive shrimp and crays who need a place to hide and feel at home, also to molt.
^ Still on my list of things to do...

Snail traps will probably be available soon. They are in the works... (need to find my acrylic cutter!)

Also, Needed more room so Will probably be setting up a rack sooner than expected, No gaurentee yet though:icon_neut

So Thanks for all the support! I'm sure I forgot some stuff so Will probably have stuff to add!

-Andrew
Okay where to start lol. How much do you think your driftwood would cost(plus shipping)? And would you you have any to fit nicely in a 10g?

The Red Cherry Shrimp are something I want to look at. How much will 4-6 be?

Would Platys eat spinach flakes?

I have so many questions and I will buy when I have money. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow! Awesomeness! You are very admirable, like you said anyone else your age wouldn't dare venture into that. (Though I want to start breeding RCS :) ) Which brings me to my next question, how much are you selling your RCS for (i.e how much would 10-12 cost me?) And how much is shipping?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay where to start lol. How much do you think your driftwood would cost(plus shipping)? And would you you have any to fit nicely in a 10g?

The Red Cherry Shrimp are something I want to look at. How much will 4-6 be?

Would Platys eat spinach flakes?

I have so many questions and I will buy when I have money. Keep us updated.
I'm not sure how much the driftwood will cost. I might have a few nice pieces not too sure. Will have to take some out of the HUGE box in the atic and start selling some off....:D

I'm not too sure on RCS probably somewhere between $1 and $2 per.

Not Sure if Platys will eat spinach flakes, when the spinach flakes really start getting made (I make a big batch that comes out right) I'll take some to my lfs and ask the manager if I can try out my new FF on his fish, he will probably say yes and then we will see!

Your 4-6 RCS will disappear in your 10g. I can barely find half of my 35-40 RCS in a 7 gallon cube!
Hell, Imagine how hard it is to tell how many there are in my 55g????:icon_conf Not FUN!

Wow! Awesomeness! You are very admirable, like you said anyone else your age wouldn't dare venture into that. (Though I want to start breeding RCS :) ) Which brings me to my next question, how much are you selling your RCS for (i.e how much would 10-12 cost me?) And how much is shipping?
Not sure how much It will be, See above post.

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the late reply I hadn't realized there was more replies.

-Andrew

1 - 20 of 34 Posts