The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I haven't stocked yet... but I have a question-

I have a medical condition that dehydrates my body (and of course I live in the desert to top it all off). As a result I use LOTS of various lotions and creams on my skin to try and maintain a level of comfort. Should I get a pair of "aquarium gloves" so that the residual lotion stuffs don't leech into the water? I tend to stick to products made with coconut oil, shea butter, beeswax and other natural ingredients but I did notice some oily type film on top of the water after I adjusted the intake and thermometer today. I don't want to inadvertently poison the fish... or am I worrying too much over nothing?

·
Banned
629 Posts
I have the same concern because of all the hand sanitizer I've been using. Your hands have to be washed (should be IMO) going into the tank and then washed again when you're done. Sometimes I wash up to the elbows. I do a whole lot of hand rinsing and toweling in between. Check the surface of the water for oil slicks. That's a good indicator. Don't worry, you're a conscientious person. You'll do fine.

EDIT: Oh, oil film. I see you already noticed that.

Reactions: TDoyle

·
Registered
239 Posts
Use reef safe products it should be safe in fw

Try raising your humidity to 100% indoors to help with ur skin washing hands can make ur skin dryer

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try raising your humidity to 100% indoors to help with ur skin washing hands can make ur skin dryer
Unfortunately we don't have a whole house humidifier. I do keep a large one on almost full time in the living room and I have a bit smaller one on a bedside table for when I sleep. I'll definitely see if I can find a source for reef safe lotions

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It should be okay, but wearing gloves wouldn't hurt. If you see that oily sheen start to build up more, then consider doing water changes and paper towels to sop up and remove it from the tank.

I get relatively dry hands and feet, and use Cerave lotion (the blue tub) and if things get super bad, triamcinolone. Neither seems to have had a negative effect on freshwater fish, amano shrimp, plants, or saltwater macroalgae.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It should be okay, but wearing gloves wouldn't hurt. If you see that oily sheen start to build up more, then consider doing water changes and paper towels to sop up and remove it from the tank.

I get relatively dry hands and feet, and use Cerave lotion (the blue tub) and if things get super bad, triamcinolone. Neither seems to have had a negative effect on freshwater fish, amano shrimp, plants, or saltwater macroalgae.
Thank you- that makes me feel better. I have Cerave in my arsenal... and I'll make sure I use that during the day and limited some of their weirder scented stuff for bedtime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts