The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of us around here name our fish? I have'nt named all my fish over the years, but a handfull or so have been dubbed.

My favourites are

My first convict cichlid - Al Copone
My first two Oscars - Fatman and LittleBoy (someone may get the reference)
Albino Bichir (RIP) - Pastulio
Clown Fish - Krusty
My 12" Bristlenose - Medusa
Breeding pair of convicts - Zim and Gaz

What kind of names have to put upon your fish?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I name some of them.

My betta is named Moe (mo betta').

My peacock eel is named [H]Steve (reference to a joke on [H]ardForum)

My leopard ctenopoma (RIP), from when I still naively thought he was a "leaf fish", I named Leif Erikson lol.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Krusty the clown fish, haha, I love it! I only name my kuhli loaches, all the rest look too similar to tell apart.
I have Leo, because he looks like a leopard, all spotted.
There's jigsaw, looks like puzzle pieces.
Spot, he has only one spot on his back.
Zigzag, his yellow patches are triangular shaped.
Louis, because that's Rick moranis' character in ghostbusters who is also the key master and my kuhli has what kind of markings....that's right, keyholes.
Goldie, I've had him the longest and he has a beautiful gold coloring to his stripes. The other 4 are not named yet, if ever, they have more basic patterns.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I named my first fish (a betta). His name was Henry. R.I.P Lil' guy sorry I didn't know better than to keep you in a 1g bowl.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Some of my fish have had names. These I still have:

Crowntail Betta - Grover
Mystery Snail - Gary
Neon tetras - Moe, Larry, Curly & Shemp
Honey Gouramis - Valentine, Lapis Lazuli and Lorelei Lee
Albino Tiger Barbs - Marcellus, Vincent, Mia, Jules, Pumpkin, Honey Bunny, Butch & Lance
Reg. Tiger Barbs - Bobby, Jerry, Mickey, Phil, Bill, Pigpen, Brent
Opaline Gourami - Stella Blue
Panda Corys - Everett, Pete & Delmar

These are ones that I've had in the past:

Ghost Shrimp - Casper & Topper
Sakura Shrimp - Jake & Elwood
Red tail black shark - Winston O'Boogie

·
Registered
524 Posts
This thread has me very entertained so far. I skipped over it at first because the title led me to believe the discussion was about how fish got their names, or common versus latin names, something along those lines. I'm glad I checked it, so far we have A Simpsons reference, Ghostbusters, Pulp Fiction, The Grateful Dead, Blues Brothers. Any I missed? Sesame street, Three stooges...wow, how did I miss O' brother where art thou? Nice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My oscar is named Mel, not my name got her from a friend
I had 2 piranhas for a while that I named Bub and Lou, short for Beelzebub and Lucifer.
I don't really name my smaller fish since I have too many and cannot tell them apart.
Monkeyfish, you missed an invader zim reference, a spongebob reference, a hiroshima reference and a nagasaki reference.
Also if Ikine didn't call that oscar tank the Enola Gay I am very disappointed in him.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I sure did. Let's hope the tank wasn't nuked.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
For those counting the references, nicely done. You guys got most of mine. Missed ones are Heinlein characters (my honey gouramis), John Lennon (Winston O'Boogie), the friendly ghost & a Cary Grant movie.

I like to reference with my pet names. It makes me happy.

This is a fun thread.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It reassuring to know others name fish. I have: Darth Betta ,Sparky, and Lulu all Bettas
Poly,Esthter, and Cotton- dojo loaches
Goldie Hawn and Micheal Jackson-goldfish(Micheal Jackson was a black moor who started changing color one day)
Shelly-apple snail
I love the invader zim reference by the way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I only name fish that I can tell apart AND have an emotional connection to haha. Which tends to be Bettas and Goldfish.

Bettas that I have named: Mr. Tye Dye, Mr. Tye Dye (the Second), Mr. Red, Mr. Red (the Second), Blue Moon, Kabocha

Goldfish: Goldeen, Sarasa, Tasty

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Ghastly - Copper betta
Dratini - New blue and black butterfly betta
Beatrice - Female Blue gas betta
Hades - Blue snakeskin guppy
Fruitsalad - Lyretail guppy
Kent - Random baby guppy from petco.. turned into lyretail
Miss Contemplative Cory - Leopard cory, so named because of how she likes to hang out by herself and "contemplate" things
Scary Spice - Other female cory that hangs out with MCC
The three caballeros - The 3 male leopard cories that are always together
Junpei - An oto that always hangs by himself and never with the others, never hides, never goes on the glass, just cleans the front two rows of plants all day
Akihiko and Shinji- Other two oto's that always hide and are forever a deathly pale colour no matter what I do.They always hang out with just themselves
That's it..
But I'm sure once I get a couple angelfish and a whole giant school of cories in December I'll have more names to add Lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
I named my male halfmoon betta pepsi, but other than that I don't really name my fish much.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Some of my fish have had names. These I still have:

Crowntail Betta - Grover
Mystery Snail - Gary
Neon tetras - Moe, Larry, Curly & Shemp
Honey Gouramis - Valentine, Lapis Lazuli and Lorelei Lee
Albino Tiger Barbs - Marcellus, Vincent, Mia, Jules, Pumpkin, Honey Bunny, Butch & Lance
Reg. Tiger Barbs - Bobby, Jerry, Mickey, Phil, Bill, Pigpen, Brent
Opaline Gourami - Stella Blue
Panda Corys - Everett, Pete & Delmar

These are ones that I've had in the past:

Ghost Shrimp - Casper & Topper
Sakura Shrimp - Jake & Elwood
Red tail black shark - Winston O'Boogie
My God. Best naming ever.

In your honor, my two farlowellas are now Jake & Elwood. :proud:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I name my bettas. The two I currently have are Lucky (cause he was half dead with no fins when I got him and he now has full, lovely finnage), and the other one I named Geezer, cause he's red with silver streaks in his fins and it reminds me of an old mans hair. I've also had bettas named Opal and Jewell and Sophie, and a red, white and blue ct name Indy (for Independence Day) and my very first boy that my husband named Sebastian. There have been others too that I can't recall at the moment

1 - 20 of 23 Posts