The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted about my major fish deaths in my 55 gal planted aquarium after an apparent CO2 regulator malfunction. As per advice I received I invested in a quality drop checker from Green Leaf Aquariums. I also got a new bubble counter with a thicker non-toxic fluid, purchased a new glass diffuser, changed the airline tubing and adjusted my Azoo regulator to 30 psi. Both glass bowls in the drop checker now have the same desired green color so I believe that my CO2 injection issue has been solved and my plants are getting bigger and look better.
As far as remaining fish, my 4 emerald and 1 albino corys are great as well as my 6 Harlequin rasporas and several Otos. My 2 plattys have apparently mated since I now have 4 babies swimming about.

I decided to re-stock the tank with only small colorful community fish and recently added 5 hardy zebra danios as a start. As of today only one remains and I also found a dead Oto.
All this after starting to use dry ferts on EI weekly regiment and 50% water change on Sundays. I am kind of stumped at this point? :hihi:

Any suggestions? Thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My first thought goes to sick fish. You might have got some bad danios. And if they were not quarantined before them before adding them to your tank its possible that something they had could spread to some of your other fish.

Any physical signs of illness? Small spots on the fish themselves, lethargic behavior, or other symptoms?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Mystery deaths for me have always been metal of some kind and mainly from home procured driftwood. Each and everytime fish started dying off for no apparent reason I would start further inspection of my non-store bought driftwood and EVERY time I would find either some wire, a nail, or some other rusted POS metal that had poluted my tank to a toxic level and the horrible thing about it is that this innocent mistake doesn't rear its ugly head ugly head until the metal in question starts to oxidize so it could be months.

Otos were always my first fish to go also but I would implore you to determine the cause of these deaths prior to attempting a restock.

Just my two cents though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.