The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I got a 36 L lowtech tank for my male betta. I want a cleaning crew with him and this is my plan:
2 panda corys ( If I can find pygmy I'll get them instead.), 2 otocinclus, 4 ghost shrimp ( I couldn't find amano shrimp.) 4 ramshorn snails. I guess I'm overstocking but I want a good cleaning crew. So what are your opinions and suggestions. I really don't wanna overstock tho.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since corydoras an otocinclus are both schooling fish, I do not recommend keeping them in groups of less than 6. I also wouldn't recommend otocinclus for a 10 gallon because of their feeding requirements. I would do the male betta alongside 6-8 pygmy corys. Keep in mind that you will have to feed your cleaning crew, they can't just live off of scavenging. Best of luck with your tank!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since corydoras an otocinclus are both schooling fish, I do not recommend keeping them in groups of less than 6. I also wouldn't recommend otocinclus for a 10 gallon because of their feeding requirements. I would do the male betta alongside 6-8 pygmy corys. Keep in mind that you will have to feed your cleaning crew, they can't just live off of scavenging. Best of luck with your tank!
I've got algae waffers for them 👍. Can I have a panda cory school with less numbers like 3 or 4 because I don't think I can find pygmys even online.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got algae waffers for them 👍. Can I have a panda cory school with less numbers like 3 or 4 because I don't think I can find pygmys even online.
I would start with 4. If your tank does not seem overcrowded and your nutrients aren't too high, you could bump it up to 6. Have you looked for all 3 varieties of pygmy corys? Some are easier to find than others.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'd say go with shrimp and snails. IME mystery snails are better at eating left over fish food then they are at eating algae. Shrimp, from what I have researched (I have yet to keep shrimp), are pretty good at algae clean up. In a tank/ set up you're describing I don't think cories or oto are the best option. I mean if you were to do a school of 4 otos it might work but you would need a pretty mature tank with some flow and heavy planting. Panda cory should really be kept in a school of 6 or more and with keeping shrimp in a tank your size it would crowd the bottom half a bit (depending on how heavily you are planted. Pygmy cory could work, a school of 6-8. They are a little more mid column dwelling than their larger counterparts so it shouldn't be as bottom crowded. The biggest obstacle with keeping shrimp and other fish is going to be whether or not your betta will let you lol. As funny as it sounds I've had betta reject every other fish I've put with them... Those guys have lived with only snails... Good luck!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
endlers or similar would also be an option they are excellent algae eaters (esp if you don't over feed them). The betta might object to them since they hang at the top but the betta might also object to the pygmy cory. I would go with rabbit snail or mystery snail before panda cory. panda cory look nice they just aren't a good fit for your tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.