The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just fished out my two honeycomb cats and removed almost 10-15 fish lice off each of them. There are still some more but I figured it's enough trauma for the day. Apparently the only way to get rid of them is a medicine they no longer make? I also heard that these lice are common on goldfish, not on tropical fish.

Anyhow, wanted to share pictures of the nasty little things. I let them dry out and die.

Hoping to get more info on it. Just looking at my own digging, apparently organophosphates kill these things...but I would assume organophosphates kill everything else as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It had to happen to the honeycombs too. The last time I did an Ich treatment on my tank, they were almost half dead but they survived, minus the single vector fish who happened to be a honeycomb. They are okay now, even with those lice they swam and ate and everything. I figure cleaning them off is good for now at least. I want to treat the tank but the majority of the side effects kill my other fish and shrimps :(

Thanks all for the links, I will definitely look at it if this lice spreads

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Read up on the life cycle of fish lice- it is no joke.

Argulus(Fish Lice) Life Cycle

Argulus have a direct life cycle using only the fish as hosts. They prey upon freshwater fish and marine fish. Argulus can spend a large amount of time swimming around and mating occurs when the male and female Argulus are swimming. The eggs clusters are dropped on any convenient submerged item. After hatching the Argulus makes several metamorphic changes as it goes towards adulthood. The entire cycle takes between 30-100 days depending on the temperature. After hatching they must find a host within a around four days or they will not survive.

Agulus(Fish Lice) Treatment

The most successful and effective treatments against lice are organophosphates. Using three treatments over the estimated life cycle of the parasite almost always eradicates lice. At typical summer pond temperatures of 68 degrees F or higher, treatments at 10-day intervals will kill existing adults and juveniles as well as emerging juveniles. Clout is one of the commonly available treatments and is quite effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.