The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fish(Zebra Danio) which will just swim in circles nonstop.

He is only able to turn left and will just go in circles and circles nonstop then sometimes lay up-side-down on the bottom of the tank before swimming in more circles.

Has anyone seen anything like this before or now how to treat?

Please let me know. I am stumped.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Need test reading's for ammonia,nitrite,nitrates.
What size tank,?how long has tank been running with fish?, water change schedule?,what conditioner used for new water?, how long have you had the fish?,any other new fish added recently?,any other fish showing similar symptom's?,temperature?, Any medication's or other additives added to the tank besides fresh water?
Answer's to these question's can help eliminate or identify issues that may be contributing.
Otherwise,all anyone can do is speculate.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need test reading's for ammonia,nitrite,nitrates.
What size tank,?how long has tank been running with fish?, water change schedule?,what conditioner used for new water?, how long have you had the fish?,any other new fish added recently?,any other fish showing similar symptom's?,temperature?, Any medication's or other additives added to the tank besides fresh water?
Answer's to these question's can help eliminate or identify issues that may be contributing.
Otherwise,all anyone can do is speculate.

1. Its a 75 gallon, planted tank
2. Running for 3 months
3. I have been on vacation for the past 6 weeks so just changed the water when I got back. I also did a lot of water changes before I left.

I did not test the water chemistry because I just did a 60% water change but I know that the ammonia was close to zero. If anything, the fish feeders were not giving them enough food since my main fish feeder ran out of food and the secondary one which only comes on 1 a day was the only feeder with food left which is probably why the fish are still alive.

4. There is a black molly that kept floating to the surface then started to look dead. Just laying on a plant and not moving. I have placed them now in a quarantine tank and added metafix from API.

5. Temp was around 74.5 degrees

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you use Prime or a similar dechlorinator? I suspect both of those fish are not going to recover. Vacation time is often when fish run into problems.
I am using prime now after reading about how normal tap water conditioner can causes spikes in ammonia when Chloramines are present.

Usually I have noticed that a sick fish is a dead fish however these 2 have swam around like this for days and I finally spent all night making the quarantine tank and putting the API Melafix in it.

My main aquarium had UV sterilizers in it. Guess it was not good enough.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tough to tell all the replies make a point.Are there other zebras in the tank as they enjoy each others company and if so how are they acting?
I think they are acting and swimming normal. It was just one Zebra which was swimming in circles nonstop and even when I was chasing him with a net to get him out, he was still doing the same thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.