The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ADA 60P tank.

1. I had 6 Purple Rassborras and 2 Ottos for 2 months.

Last week I added 10 narrow Wedge Rasboaras and 3 Amamo Shrimp.

for since I have added the new fish, I found the next morning 1 Purple Rasbora and 1 Narrow wedge Rasboarra jumped out of the tank. On the second day one of the Otto jumped out. I checked the water and found PH 6.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrate and Nitrite are 0. Tempurature is held constantly at 75F. Any thoughts what is happening and why these fish are jumping out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
May be too many fish? Just a thought. Over stocking can lead to jumping. I've never put a top over my tanks. I think over the many years I've lost maybe 2 or 3 fish to jumping out for unknown reason. That's why I think it could be over crowded. 17 gallons/60p, is cutting it close.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I noticed my husband's dwarf puffer too FOREVER to stop getting started and jumping out of the water (thankfully had a lid so he didn't go anywhere) when tank light turned on/off.

Otos should be kept in shoals of 6 or more and in larger tanks 20g+ imo to give room for swimming/hiding and plenty of surface area for diatoms to grow on for them to nom.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Injecting CO2 could be a reason for jumping too but most fish jump given a chance. You can put a net over the tank instead of a cover if you want or maybe floating plants will help.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Maybe you left the tv on discovery channel or animal planet and they saw a documentary on Lemmings?

·
Registered
566 Posts
A couple of ideas...

1. Lowes cuts window glass to size. It is very thin so you can't put much on it, but it also is barely visible. As long as you keep it clean, it will have very little affect on PAR. Just make sure you sand the edges as they are very sharp. It really shouldn't affect the ascetics of the tank much.
2. Simply put a piece of cardboard over the tank at night.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Perspex (with small holds drilled into it) might be safer than thin glass

Bump: Thick perspex won't warp and can be dropped on the floor without much drama

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.