The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this few fish in recently, the wholesaler had labeled them as clown gobies but they don't look like it to me. Not that there's much information on clown gobies anyways, seeing if anyone had on thoughts or ideas on it.
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Yellow Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did a quick search because this caught my interest. Looks like a rhinohorn goby(Found through another post on here).

Another quick search and I didn't find much info about it. It does look like it's a brackish water fish though, similar to bumble bee gobies.

Side note, clown gobies are a saltwater species.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The I.D. is almost certainly Redigobius balteatus, a coastal brackish to freshwater goby. It is quite small, about 1.5 inches in length. Males have more developed finnage. The range includes Sri Lanka, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan, New guinea, Madagascar, and Mozambique. My guess is that it will be cave spawner (think pvc tubes) and fry are likely to drift to brackish or saltwater conditions. Marine rotifers will probably work as a first food. If if were me, I'd use a specific gravity of about 1.012 for the adults to avoid skin issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a quick search because this caught my interest. Looks like a rhinohorn goby(Found through another post on here).

Another quick search and I didn't find much info about it. It does look like it's a brackish water fish though, similar to bumble bee gobies.

Side note, clown gobies are a saltwater species.
Thanks, that helps a lot. They are in freshwater right now but I can slowly turn them over to brackish water without a problem. I'm aware of the saltwater clown goby (I'm more a saltwater keeper than freshwater), but there is a freshwater clown goby (Sicyopterus griseus)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts