The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys this is my first post herealthough i have been looking and reading for a long time, i have a nice 15gallon planted tank and recently got given two fish that i have no idea what they are. I tried to take photos of them to upload but it turned out easier to take a video, if someone could help me by IDing these fish i would be greatful.

Fish #1: Melonotaenia Splendida Australis, Rainbowfish

Fish #2: Rainbow Dace

Thanks for all the help :)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

I must say, I'm really not sure; it was very difficult to make out the outline of the fish from that video; and are they completely silver, or is there any coloration on the fish at all?

They behave like rainbows and danios, but I don't think that's what they are... I'm really not sure. Also, how large are they? Is that a 10gal tank?

(Also- You'll get more opinions if you upload that video here instead of making people go and log into Facebook to see it.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do i upload it here? i managed to get some pictures altho they are a little blurred the silly fish just dont stop moving!! Unfortunatly it wont allow me to upload the images even tho they are the JPeg format it says it needs...

I have 3 leapord dainos in the tank and as for colouration the 2nd fish has a pink patch on his head as well as pinkish tinted fins, the 1st one in the video has 2 dorsal fins and a slight double yellow line running parrel down its center.

As for the tank I worked it out to contain around 18 gallons of water but with gravel and rocks i recon its about 15 gallons max.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Oh- that helps to know that there are several diff species of fish in the tank- that was part of what was really confusing me.

Pinkish tints with a silvery body? Try googling Sawbwa resplendens (Asian rummynose) and see if that looks familiar?

Yellow lines running the length of the body? I'm drawing a blank on that one. Celebes and furcata rainbows are the only thing even coming to mind... but I don't think either of those are going to be right...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok uploaded the pics sorry there so blurry

its not an Asian Rummynose im afraid, if it helps i also have a female who dosent have the red patch on top of her head...shes also alot more silvery in colour.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks ill have a gander at some of them see if i can make it out, the fish dont exactly sit about and let me take photos! that was the best of the bunch lol

the two videos are at:

IDed: rainbowfish, thanks for your help altho i still dont have a clue what the other one is....

and

the fish seem to be gettin a bit sleepy now its about time for lights out lol so they stayed in shot....well almoast....

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
It looks like a giant danio to me
That was my second guess but I think thats wrong because in the pictures the fish is pretty stressed and it's fins are clamped. I'm like 90% sure its a species of rainbow. I've even kept them before I'm still looking for the exact species. I'm pretty sure its an Australian rainbow for starters...

I'll get the exact one sooner or later...
-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I just noticed that there are two different fish, the first one probably is a Giant Danio then.

I think this is the species of rainbow the second one is Chequered Rainbowfish

You'll ultimately be the only one to be able to tell, photos only do so much and blurry photos are a bit worse...

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I think that the first fish is a rainbow shiner Cyprinella lutrensis. The 2nd species is definitely a type of rainbowfish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
the first one if definatly a rainbowfish i managed to find the exact one this morning but the link now eludes me...as for the second one i have no idea...its different to the ones youve posted, its forehead is very pink kinda reminds me of a klingon....lol

as for the rainbow fish its definatly stressed but i dont really know what i can do i think it might be because of my water parameters, but there all just where i want them :( hmm ill do some research maybe a partner will cheer her up

Found it

Fish #1: Melonotaenia Splendida Australis, Rainbowfish

Fish #2: No Idea. i dont think its a danio as its head is more bulbous than danios...

Edit: Also just found out rainbows are algae eaters which could be why its stressed, shoved some peas in to try and get it interested but ill have to wait to get some algae tabs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spot on its a Rainbow Dace :)

Thank you so much guys for all your help! Now i can at least go about giving them the proper diet :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts