The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very young peacock bass. It grows into huge predator game fish in nature. Don't put it into your tank unless you know what you are doing.
That was my first thought as well but then I took a closer look and peacock bass does not have a marking running through its eyes also the marking patterns and number are different. Thanks for helping though

·
Registered
45 Posts
It kinda looks like the cichlid I bought, mine has the stripes and its yellowish, I forgot the name of it though lol which is a problem, I have to stop in the pet store tonight to find out. It looks like a bumble bee but it's not

·
Registered
306 Posts
To me, it looks like a Haplochromis species cichlid. Or at least a Lake Victoria cichlid. Which one, well, that's hard to say. So many of them look similar to that when they're juveniles. And many of the females, too. But the dorsal fin shape, the black bars and the mouth shape all look right for a Hap. Since I don't see the presence of any egg spots on the anal fin, I'm going to say it's a juvenile.

I have no idea how it would do with an Oscar, though. The Oscar will eventually get a lot bigger than almost all African cichlids. I don't how they're temperaments will get along either. African cichlids can be very aggressive, but so can Oscars. Oscars can also be pretty relaxed. I'm not a big fan of mixing different continents like this either, but that's a personal preference. How big is your aquarium? Would you have the room for another large fish like a Jack Dempsey? I think in general it would be a better match for an Oscar. There is still the potential for problems, but I think less so than with an African cichlid. Just my thoughts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.