The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't been on here since photbucket [censor]ed everyone with their charge for image sharing.. but have a question I'm hoping you all can help with!
Got an unknown gourami male today. Store owner (not chain) said its a dwarf species (didn't give species name) that stays at 1.5", same conditions/care as dwarf gourami. Tried looking on trusty serisoulyfish.com but he doesn't match any species listed there.
This is NOT a dwarf flame gourami-the back end of the body tapers in like a 3 spot gourami.. just tiny. He is orange with a thick blue strip on the top of his body, the females in the store tank looked the same in shape but paler, smaller, and no blue band. I don't trust the shop owner's knowledge and suspect it will grow past 1.5".. want to know jsut how much (and pH/temp ranges)
Could he be a cross of a 'wild' species with the dwarf gourami (like the betta complex area cross of splendend with certain wild types)?
pardon photo quality-just acclimated so lights on 'night' mode in tank while he settles in
Anyone have a species ID/name for this guy?

View attachment 827905 View attachment 827913

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea what the breed is but that is a very Gourami.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yep just hoping to narrow down a bit more past "gourami" ^^

Pretty sure it is a color variant of a honey gourami.
Interesting possibility, the honey does have a similar body type to this one-not as blocky as the dwarf.. hope that doesn't mean he's going to be miserable solo

Are you sure it is not a powder blue that was dye injected?
There were powder blues and fire reds in the tanks next to this ones-its a slightly different body shape so not a dwarf gourami but thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's the red form of Trichogaster labiosus injected with blue dye. Looks like a female.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It's the red form of Trichogaster labiosus injected with blue dye. Looks like a female.
I was leaning toward Trichogaster labiosus from looking through my Atlas, but I wasn't aware that there was now a red form (it's an older Atlas), and I also wasn't aware that they were injecting dyes into gouramies now. But, given that coloring information, I would second this identification, based solely on the body shape and finnage. One of the markers, aside from just the body shape, is the caudal fin (tail), in that most smaller gouramies have a forked tail, where as this species has an even rear edge, or an extremely small cleft, at most.

Olskule

1 - 7 of 7 Posts