The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My vote is on Silver Tip as well, given the way the pattern on the tail it. There are three scientific names for them if you want to check it out:

Hasemania nana

Hasemania melanura

Hemigrammus nanus

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'm still sticking with a silver tip, if you look at the tail is has a black strip down the center with two light colored dots flanking it, the blue tetra do not appear to have these dots. Plus if you look at the other fins and compare them with a blue tetra you will notice that the blue tetra do not have as pronounced markings on the tip of each fin.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still sticking with a silver tip, if you look at the tail is has a black strip down the center with two light colored dots flanking it, the blue tetra do not appear to have these dots. Plus if you look at the other fins and compare them with a blue tetra you will notice that the blue tetra do not have as pronounced markings on the tip of each fin.
Could it be a cross breed? The fish is even more blue than the pictures makes him out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely not a Silver Tip, Silver Tip also have a white tip on their anal fin as well whereas this one does not. The fish in question is stressed and therefore the blue in it has faded so you are seeing more of it's black stripe and white tips than you normally would. I can see where the confusion comes into play but he's definitely a Blue Tetra.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely not a Silver Tip, Silver Tip also have a white tip on their anal fin as well whereas this one does not. The fish in question is stressed and therefore the blue in it has faded so you are seeing more of it's black stripe and white tips than you normally would. I can see where the confusion comes into play but he's definitely a Blue Tetra.
The fish isn't stressed. He's happily swimming around. That's just how he looks.

He was very thin much like a young rummy nose when I got him. He's rounded out quite a bit.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is you blue tetra behaving itself? Sometimes they can be real terrors.
Actually he started nipping at the neon tetras in my 12 gallon so I moved him to the 190 where the other fish can pick on him :)

I am trying to keep an eye on him and will give him away if he's bad. So far he's just staying deep in the plants for now. I'm sure in a day or two he'll settle in and come back out.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Agree 100% - Definitely not a Silvertip, which not only has a white tip but has no blue in it whatsoever - it is mainly yellow/gold as it's base color - check it out .

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Is you blue tetra behaving itself? Sometimes they can be real terrors.
I used to have a fairly big school of them and as far as tetras go theses ones are very aggressive. They would nip and pick on everything including each other. They do have some neat coloration though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.