The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a Pelvicachromis taeniatus, but which morph?

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
It looks just like the ones I used to have, and they were taeniatus "kienke". It is sometimes hard to tell, though. There are a couple that look similar. When you google search "moliwe" and "kienke" you get a lot of the same pics, so it is hard to tell.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it's not a Moliwe because Moliwe females have spots in their dorsals & caudals, which mine don't. I'm leaning towards Loukundje, Bipindi or Dehane, but your guess is as good as mine. It doesn't matter that much to me, but if I breed them the purists always want to know the collection point, etc. Pic is of one of my females. Just slightly more attractive than P. pulcher, in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
The labyrinth pattern in the male's dorsal just screams Moliwe. Not showing the female, which is equally beautiful, was a bit of trickery lol

If you breed them, I know one person who is fine not knowing the collection point and would buy 6 as soon as they are ready :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got them last summer. They've grown quite a bit but they're really taking their time getting down to business. Yeah, I've tried the usual strategies to trigger spawning - large water changes, Marvin Gaye - but if there's one thing I've learned in all the years I've been doing this is to be patient.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
some live food followed by a few large water changes with cooler temp water has always worked on fish i want to "force" to spawn. the cool water (and this time of year) triggers rainy season for them to start spawning. live food helps get them in the mood. i wouldnt mind some of them myself

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
After seeing the female I think it's pelvicachromis bipindi. Beautiful fish regardless of the collection point. Did you get those at your LFS?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After seeing the female I think it's pelvicachromis bipindi. Beautiful fish regardless of the collection point. Did you get those at your LFS?
Aquabid. They were listed only as P. taeniatus. The seller didn't know which morph they are either. I was sent an extra female & the whole transaction came out to $23, shipping included!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Aquabid. They were listed only as P. taeniatus. The seller didn't know which morph they are either. I was sent an extra female & the whole transaction came out to $23, shipping included!
If you don't mind who was the seller. Was it alloddballaquatics by chance. You can pm me with that info if you don't want to share on this thread. Good luck with your breeding. You won't have any problems getting rid of those babies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts