The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a juvenile kribensis and he wa recently attacked by one of the the other young kribensis. His fins were nipped and his tail was so hard he can hardly swim. I moved him into a baby net and today I noticed there is white fuzz on his tail. It looks like the stuff the grows on a fish after it dies. What is it? What do I do? Is there some kind of medicine I can give it? Please help!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water parameters: Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 20ppm pH: 6.5
I change about 35% each week with tap and RO water mixed
Tank is 60 gallon and I have had it almost 6 months. I have ha the kribensis for about 1 week now.
Some medicine I have: API T.C. Tetracycline, Tetra Lifegaurd, Fenbenazole powder, Quick Cure, Pimafix, and The fishkeeper natures disease remedy and immunizing treatment.
Will any of these work? Thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
My guess would be fungus. I he same fungus that grows on uneaten food or plant matter. It eats dead or decaying tissues. If the damage on the tail was extensive, could be it.. Could also be a form of fin rot, which can look like a fish has been pecked at because it cause fraying of the fins. It's hard to tell without photos, but those are some possibilities.. I wouldn't suggest the next step without knowing tank mates, etc because dosing with certain meds can harm fish and inverts. If you have a quarantine tank, I would get that set up and separate the sick krib from other fish.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It can be one of 2 things, Columnaris (pray it's not) or body fungus.

Here is the link for body fungus: http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/fungus.aspx

Columnaris: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html This is the treatment I used, I only managed to save a couple Ottos.

Another link with pictures of columnaris: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html

Take a look at both pictures, best course of action if its body fungus is to keep the water EXTREMELY clean. Like doing 2 50% each week. I cured beginning of body/tail fungus on a ram, by using a little aquarium salt and doing water changes every three days. you'll most likely need to medicate. I would use the tetracycline, but I am not sure it should be used in a planted tank, I would move the little guy to your Quarantine tank to treat. You might kill a few plants, treating the whole tank. I would read on the box about whether it will kill your cycle and having to recycle your tank. You have a lot of sensitive fish in your tank to be dumping meds in there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the responses. He has it really bad and he cant swim. He is sitting at the bottom of the tank hardly breathing. I don't think he will be able to go through medicine or live even a few more days. :( What would be the best way to put him down? He is just getting worse by the hour and he's miserable. I think the right think to do would be to euthanize him.

·
Registered
588 Posts
There are a few ways to euthanize, the most humane is to sever the spinal column. Some will recommend a bath in high grain alcohol or ice water. All are affective and more humane then letting an animal suffer.

I would recommend a quarantine tank next time you purchase any new fish. As the other poster noted, this could have been a case of columnaris, which would wipe out your entire tank, and would require a complete breakdown of your tank and a fresh start from scratch. It's always better to take the extra time to be safe rather than sorry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a quarantine tank. Just isn't set up right now. Even if I did put the fish in there I don't think he would survive.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Lets hope no one else shows fuzz, Colmnaris is a complete tank break down. Like you throw EVERYTHING away. Its really hard to kill. I bleached out everything and let it sit/sun bake for 2 months just to be sure. Its now fun and I lost over 30 fish! Always Q your fish if you ask me! Its not worth it, not to.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I would let it go. I find my success is often very limited. While it is a shame to let one go, it is even more pain when I throw several dollars worth of meds and still just prolong the pain. There really is a time to make the tough decisions for the fish we keep.
I suspect the pain involved is not much worth than the pain involved in being in a net so I just simply wrap the fish in a towel and give it a hard rap on the concrete. The quicker the better.

·
1,983 Posts
I've seen fish with zero fins recover. Big water changes and melafix helped a lot. He might be really stressed from the ordeal and that is why he is hovering around the bottom. Get him into a QT tank if you can and see if he returns.

I personally don't think fish have the same pain receptors that people think they do. After all I've seen fish with darn near half a side missing and didn't seem too affected by it. If a human/mammal lost that much body they'd be in shock and most likely die. Fish are different when it comes to damage and pain. I'd give it a fair shot at recover. You never know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.