The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im kinda mad now in the past month a discus, 3 rams and 5 ottos have all dissapeared without a trace... i have found no bodies nor have i found and fish on the floor.. they are not in the tank anywhere belive me and i have no dogs or cats or any other animal that might try to eat them. My room doesn't smell like dead fish and my tank doesent smell fishy either. I think there must be some kind of black hole in my aquarium ?

inhabitants are
15 neons
4 discus ( 1 disapeared )
3 rams ( 3 disapeared )
5 cories ( i think 1 might be missing but not sure)
15 ottos ( 5 disapeared )

so i doubt the bodies could have been eaten.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I've had that happen several times and I'm convinced that it was the extremely large population of snails that I had. I've heard they can make pretty short work of a body, especially if it died in an area you don't see easily. The discus seem awfully large to disappear so quickly though. I'm thinking my cories may have been responsible for some scavenging too but, I was never really sure. Hope you find the culprit!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Which snails are completely non carnivorous and won't scavenge bodies, eggs, or fry?

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
I have noticed fish missing before and I found them behind my tank sometimes I found them in my stand as when they jumped out they flipped into the stand of the aquarium because most stands have open backs.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive checked the back of my stand under my bed behind the book shelf heck i even made the effort to clean up my entire room looking for them! i dont have snails either thay just cant live in a kh of 2 and ph of 6.0

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
ive checked the back of my stand under my bed behind the book shelf heck i even made the effort to clean up my entire room looking for them! i dont have snails either thay just cant live in a kh of 2 and ph of 6.0
Yes they can. And they do.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well none or very few live in my tank but theres lots shells left that have holes in them and are paperthin from the acidity.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do you have a canopy? Or a piece of glass between your light and the tank? I have found fish dried up in my lighting fixtures before...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
canopy is very open nothing could really get stuck anywhere... i checked that also anyways.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was going to say worm hole but i thought people might confuse it with a real worm hole :hihi:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Maybe the other fish scavenged it? A discus is a little too big to account for, but still, maybe the other fish in the tank got to it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
No jealous neighbors - that may have just acquired a few new fish? LOL ... If they didn't jump out then they are in there somewhere. Do you have ornaments or Driftwood with places they could get stuck or hide under when dead? They have to be in there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nope nothing but plants in there its kinda under construction.. im working on a hardscape as we speak its going to be a completly south american biotope. Everything in there except the wood and flourite will have originated in south america or in the case of the discus been cross bread from 2 south american species. Trust me they arent in there and i cant find a trace of them anywhere i cleaned up my room and vacumed so i plulled out everything in my room i even checked inside of the stand incase they riccoched (sp) of the wall into the open back of the stand no dice. I could see the fish scavanging it but there arent really enough to finish off a discus before i noticed them. they are also fed 2 times a day.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, once I lost a Dario Dario in my 3-gallon nano for weeks - completely gone - tore everything down, moved my desk and could not find him. Needless to say I was very upset.

Then one day I needed to print something out. My printer is about 18-inches from my nano and on a lower shelf - and out came my dried up fish - some how he had made an 18-inch jump into the paper tray of my printer.

Who knows, but they are somewhere...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
A black hole could be an explaination. Or maybe a worm hole.
I dont think so, if there were a black hole in the tank chances are it would have sucked in a bit more than just fish. ;) Worm holes not sure about, I dont think they have been scientifically proven yet. IMO I'd look for a more Earthly explanation. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Nah, it's a worm hole. ATM, your fish are swimming somewhere near Orion's belt. Bet Steven Hawking would be able to explain how to get them back in your tank.

But seriously, sorry to hear about your missing fish. And a discus, too? $Ouch!$

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Nah, it's a worm hole. ATM, your fish are swimming somewhere near Orion's belt.
or in 1878, swimming in a troth..

if a discus goes missing, you'd definitely know where.

I'd go for the fish burglar... Not of the human kind.
Do you have a pet door a racoon can wander into the house?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts