The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do my rummynose tetras get better color the closer it gets closer to night? Is it because I usually feed them at 6 or 7 pm? They are also much more skittish earlier in the day. Is the light coming on too early at 10 am and stressing them out for the first half of the day?

My current photoperiod is 10-2, 2 hour break, then 4-8. Should I adjust this to make my fish be less stressed earlier in the day?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My rummynose always had bright red noses, pretty much regardless of time. If they are more active when the lights are out, I think that they're uncomfortable. Are they new?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My rummynose always had bright red noses, pretty much regardless of time. If they are more active when the lights are out, I think that they're uncomfortable. Are they new?
No they are not that new. Probably 2 months in my tank by now. Its not that they get bright when the lights go out, its just later in the day after the break in the photoperiods so at 4-8 pm they look much better than 10-2pm.

Also my tank is pretty low light.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My Rummy's also have duller red noses when the light first turns on, to be perfectly honest i think the red dulls when the lights go out and they "sleep". I also notice that their heads are the reddest when i am going to feed them

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yeah, maybe for a little bit. But not for long. I don't know why you have a siesta in the middle of the day, as most people do that for high tech set ups. I have noticed they kind of "flinch" every time the lights are turned on or off, so you're just doubling that. What about other params? How many do you have?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Also why would a mid day "Break" be necessary in high tech setups, that sort of confuses me a bit
Some people do it to let nutrients and CO2 build up out of the photoperiod. It's like eating a big meal before going on a run. It is not necessary.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think its normal for fish to be paler in the morning hours. when i had dwarf puffers they were very pale in the morning. also having a break in the lighting is a great idea. it helps prevent troubles with algea caused by too much lighting. enjoy your fish.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think its normal for fish to be paler in the morning hours. when i had dwarf puffers they were very pale in the morning. also having a break in the lighting is a great idea. it helps prevent troubles with algea caused by too much lighting. enjoy your fish.
Thanks for the response. I have had almost no algae. It just kinda sucks when the weekend comes around they are so skittish in the first half of the day :/

·
Registered
802 Posts
It sounds to me like you are describing what my rummys look like when "asleep": faded color, scattered about the tank (not in a school unless forced), a tad more skittish than usual (although rummys are clearly not brave fish).

I find this curious and wonder if dosing a small amount of food in the early morning would jump start them a bit. Mine are greedy eaters and maybe you just need to give them a reason to get out of bed. I'd try it.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
I think fish just lose some color at night especially red. I've noticed this happening with rummies,cardinals,neons and roselines

My geophagus also change color when the lights are off but it's not like the fish I mentioned above

Turn the lights on randomly in the middle I the night lots of fish will have pale and/or different colors for the first minute or so

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It sounds to me like you are describing what my rummys look like when "asleep": faded color, scattered about the tank (not in a school unless forced), a tad more skittish than usual (although rummys are clearly not brave fish).

I find this curious and wonder if dosing a small amount of food in the early morning would jump start them a bit. Mine are greedy eaters and maybe you just need to give them a reason to get out of bed. I'd try it.
Thanks, I was kinda thinking of trying something like this. But the light isn't on yet when I leave for school.

I think fish just lose some color at night especially red. I've noticed this happening with rummies,cardinals,neons and roselines

My geophagus also change color when the lights are off but it's not like the fish I mentioned above

Turn the lights on randomly in the middle I the night lots of fish will have pale and/or different colors for the first minute or so
To be clear, I am not talking about when the lights are off. Its when the lights are on the color is not that great until very late in my photoperiod.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And the more I look at the situation, they may just be hiding in darker parts of the tank for most of the day making them look less bright in color. So this is sparking a whole new issue- why are they so timid most of the day?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.