The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the youngest livebearer fry can be before they are able to consume live newborn baby shrimps. I'm thinking about placed a couple of male and female shrimp in with my newborn guppy/molly fry for extra nutrition from continuous baby shrimps.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I've combined Endler guppy fry with Crystal Red Shrimp and observed the following; the Endler fry are always active and always hungry, so they are constantly picking at every object and surface in my tank. this disturbs the shrimp so much that they stay out of sight and in hiding most of the time. I don't know if your fish fry will actually eat the shrimp fry, but they will scare them into hiding, and the shrimp fry may end up starving without free roaming access to the rest of your tank.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a very different experience from you spypet. I've combined Endler fry with Cherry shrimp and my endler fry did not disturb the shrimp. Only time I found one that did was when a shrimp was swimming, and it passed by the largest endler fry and it ate him! Although the endler was trying really hard to eat it, it did. So I moved the big one. After that I kept an eye on the size of the endlers remembering my biggest one's size and my cherry tank is flourishing and they are roaming around much more.

Maybe Cherry shrimp are more tolerant to picking, or the endlers find the red and white of CRS yummy?

O well I guess it all depends on how much you feed, water parameters, etc etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts