The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile ago, my female Blue Ram died, leaving my male Blue Ram a bachelor. At first he looked a little lonely so I considered getting him a new female. Then I noticed that he'd begun socializing with my crew of Zebra Loaches. He now spends most of his time swimming around with them. I don't think he visits the Loach Cave, but he tags along with them whenever they come out to the front of the tank. It's so cute, that I've decided not to get another Blue Ram.

Here are a few pictures:

Plant Plant community Green Water Terrestrial plant

Plant Water Green Botany Terrestrial plant

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Organism Aquatic plant

Has anyone else experienced interspecies "friendships" among fish? I'm guessing it's pretty common, but this is the first time I've seen it first-hand.

·
Registered
558 Posts
awww, my female blue ram just passed away too :-( hopefully my male is as cool as yours!

yes i have experienced a couple interspecies relationships

one with my 2 kuhli loaches and my one SAE the kuhlis would "dance" (swim in large circles on the glass) and the SAE would join them for hours at a time

another one is my last CPD, he now schools with the 3 neon tetras i have left pretty cool stuff

·
Registered
567 Posts
Aww how cute!

I have an ancient (3+ years!) female sailfin molly that is the last of some mollies I got to control an algae infestation, and a female Australian Rainbow who lost her mate to a jumping accident, and the two of them school together. The molly even tries to solicit the rainbow for mating! (She always chased the male around instead of him chasing her) I wonder if the molly will still hang out with her rainbow friend when I get a new male Australian?

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is a fun topic; it is always enjoyable watching different species interact in a community tank, especially in such a friendly manner! My dwarf chain loaches often school with my juvenile kribensis of about the same size, and before my kribensis parents became parents, they used to pretend they were odessa barbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts