The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got Espei Rasboras and Spanish Dancer guppies with mine. The rasboras have been too timid in this 20 gallon tank - maybe it is too full of plants for them to be comfortable. The guppies (just 3 males to avoid a population explosion) are very active and leave the shrimp alone. I'm considering swapping the rasboras for Celestial Pearl Danios.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had guppies but I just got rid of them because they seem too common...I'm also considering CPDs but i'm afraid because they are a "danio" they will either eat my shrimp or harrass them too much

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Boraras brigittae is what I have in my 10gal RCS colony and I love them!

They will eat shrimplets occasionally, but it doesn't take long for shrimp to grow big enough to be safe, these fish are so tiny.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had guppies but I just got rid of them because they seem too common.
Sure, I had the same concern - the Spanish Dancer ones black and red pattern changed my mind for now.

Those Boraras brigittae look cool. How many do you have in the 10 gallon?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boraras brigittae is what I have in my 10gal RCS colony and I love them!

They will eat shrimplets occasionally, but it doesn't take long for shrimp to grow big enough to be safe, these fish are so tiny.
Hey Lauralee! Those fish look awesome!!! I like how their color will compliment the cherry shrimps...how big do they get??? and do they school together in your tank?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about killifish because they are soooo colorful...but I don't know much about their temperment...eventually i'll be putting in CRS and blue tigers and i don't want my killifish to have an expensive meal!!!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Hey Lauralee! Those fish look awesome!!! I like how their color will compliment the cherry shrimps...how big do they get??? and do they school together in your tank?
They school sometimes, but a 10gal tank is so small no fish will really "school" like they might in a big tank. :icon_mrgr

They do mostly keep to the surface and mid levels of the tank. They have lots of oranges, pinks, and reds- highlighted with the black on their bodies, I think they're very pretty. They stay very small, maybe 1.5 cm? I have 12-15 in my 10gal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 10g that I'm setting up with mostly Cryps. Some java fern and java moss.
I think I just found my fish.
I can't believe I've never heard of those before.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've narrowed my list to this:

• cobra endlers
  • clown killifish (smallest killifish)
  • CPDs
  • boraras brigittae
  • boraras maculatus
I only want 1 species in my shrimp tank...Any suggestions which would be safest with CRS, RCS, and tigers???

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
get the endlers, 4M and 1F this way you get one or two babies that survive every month or so, and you have a renewable source of endlers, they are kinda tough to come by and don't live super long so havin a few extras won't be a bad thing.

F

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.