The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are buying a house that has a large atrium built into the center of it with a waterfall and pond feature. I can't just leave the pond sitting there without fish :biggrin: so I have to stock it with something. The pond is roughly 4'x3' and a foot or so deep. It's located outdoors so the water temp will vary with the season.

Any recommendations on fish that will thrive in those conditions and be visible from the surface?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
White Clouds are nice, but NOT visible from the surface. That was one of the OPs requests. With their brown backs, they blend well into most pond bottoms.

Minnows are egg layers.

I don't know if they would make it through extended ice periods, I doubt it. This year my pond was iced over pretty good for about a week, and mosquito fish (Gambusia), Rosy Minnows, and some small Goldfish survived.

I just realized that I am confusing the world with my term "Golden Minnows". I guess there is no such thing. This is what I am talking about!!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Dig it deeper. And toss in some Koi. It takes YEARS before they reach full size. and the ones that do get too big can be removed, sold and replaced.

Depending on how cold it gets there 1ft of nature exposed water would be likley to freeze over. if you dig it deeper it will be more stable temp wise. I'd go for 2-3ft deep.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Even if you dug it deeper (and that would be work) I wouldn't put koi in. If you are in love with the brightly colored fish LIKE koi I would just get a few goldfish. Right now I have about 8 being quarantined and conditioned (so they are in good shape when they get in my pond) in a 20g tank. If you look through the feeder goldfish tank you can find some really lovely ones. I have a pure white one, two red and whites, an orange and white, a black and yellow, a black and orange, a plain old orange and a rosy bronze colored one. You just have to take the time to look. Mine are very active and I love them. In fact I like them so much that, since they will be out in a pond, I got a lionhead so I could have goldfish inside. He goes in the 20 when the other goldfish go outside. I know there are people here that don't care much for goldfish, but I think they are adorable (some are more than others--I'm not a big fan of eyes sacs. But then it really is just opinion) and they are so innocent. They make me feel like I'm little again. I mean how many of us started originally as kids with goldfish bowls? I know I did. That's why I try to give a few of those poor, mistreated goldies a good home now that I know that a one gallon bowl is not big enough for goldfish. I feel guilty for all the goldfish I've killed.

Anyway, sorry I got off on that. It's just I had been thinking for a long time that I didn't like goldfish, and when I actually got some again, I loved them.

P.S. If you have plants (read: lots of plants) and only keep a few goldfish, you will be okay without a filter. Maybe 3 goldfish and a school of rosy reds?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dig it deeper. And toss in some Koi. It takes YEARS before they reach full size. and the ones that do get too big can be removed, sold and replaced.

Depending on how cold it gets there 1ft of nature exposed water would be likley to freeze over. if you dig it deeper it will be more stable temp wise. I'd go for 2-3ft deep.

this still would not be large enough for more than one koi and if cared for properly including the right food they grow quite quick and put a heavy load on the filter system.

·
Registered
234 Posts
paradise gouramis would not overwinter in newyork. koi can grow quick , and are to large. goldfish ? when you look into a pond what do you expect to see ? thats right goldfish , there over done. i would suggest to get a preformed pond for the winter to overwinter some fish . ive seen albino oscars in a pond there look killer. i also have had livebearers in my ponds, platies are my first choice, put in 6 take out 30 , piece them off keep a few over winter. try something differnt :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
the person that asked the question is in Houston not New York or did I miss something? I would be more worried about the summer heat if it's only one foot deep unless it's shaded during the hot part of the day. Depending on how cold it gets, you may be able to do paradise fish, they are pretty hardy. Some people out here in california do them outside year round.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I am in Houston. The pond will receive around 6 hours a day of full sunlight as it traverses over the 25'x20' opening of the atrium. I'm more concerned with our summers (93-100 every day for months) than I am winters (lows typically in the 40s). The cool thing about it is that the atrium is surrounded by the house so the only way into the atrium is through the house which means no predators can get in (except birds). Once we close I'll be able to spend some time with it and figure out if re-digging it is a viable option. We are going to re-do the landscaping in there to make it more of a minimalist landscape so that it matches the house a little better.

In the pic you can see the back of the waterfall which houses the pumps etc. I was told there were koi in there at one point but I know that they need a much larger area than what is provided. If I do re-dig I would probably go with something square and larger to help make it a focal point of the garden. One way or another it will be nice as the atrium shares a wall with every room in the house.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is true. We have about a months worth of remodeling to do before we even move in so I will try and get it done during that time, if I move forward with enlarging it. I hadn't planned on enlarging the pond until I read the replies so I've still got some research and pricing out to do.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wouldn't worry about enlarging it, I'd dig it a little deeper if you're going to do anything. You can mitigate the heat with pond plants and plantings around the pond that are placed so to shade the pond.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Golden white clouds were a very good suggestion, and what about some natives?

You know natives will survive in the weather conditions AND your local water, and there's nothing like strapping on the hip-waders and collecting yourself. If you can get away from the city and find some nice little streams, all you really need is a dip-net. These might not be as colorful as koi or goldies, but you'd have a school flashing silver as they zip about, AND you know they'll survive and thrive, AND you'll have the pleasure of catching them yourself, AND even better - you don't have to pay for them!

Just stay away from anything big and nasty like channel cats - those wouldn't do well at all.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
We Know Jen Has Some Sexy Hip Waders Too!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
this still would not be large enough for more than one koi and if cared for properly including the right food they grow quite quick and put a heavy load on the filter system.
not really true. We bought our Koi from speciality Koi only farms. (they had a 100,000 gallon pond for their personal ones) they took roughly a year or so to get to 12". once they hit that size their growth slows. Filtration needs aren't horribly greater then most any other fish that would be an option. so toss a decent pond filter w/UV on there and your set.

Koi don't start out 5' big. you can easily tuck 3 or 4 5"-12"(maybe even more) in that size of a pond. 3'x4' is a decent sized amount of water. And again when size becomes an issue in a few years those fish can be sold for a profit and replaced with smaller ones again. Nice Koi are not hard to sell.
You guys are suggesting little fish that he's never going to be able to see. you have to keep in mind his viewing angle is going to be top down. Most fish are made so they are hard to sight from topdown to protect themselves from predatory birds. So thru semi clear pond water you're gonna have to have some seriously bright fish. Koi fit this bill.

Not to mention you can hand feed koi. and actually interact with them to some degree.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Go for 2-3 goldfish. Your heat is from the humidity. Fish don't care about that. Just give them some shade.. Have a plant over the pond. or grow some floating plants. That'll help with the algae you might get too from too much sun light.

speaking of native fish.
Isn't there a texas cichlid?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.