The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I am thinking, what do you all think?

5 - Zebra Danio
10 - Neon tetra
3 - octo cats
1 - bristle nose pleco
3- burmese loaches
3 - American Flagfish (killfish)

How is that for a mix... I would like to have a some shrimp too. See any issues with this mix?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Agreed with with above. I've never been a fan of zebra danios....ever. In a tank of that size though, you should up the number of neons to at least 15, as this will, in my opinion, give a better look to the tank.

Also, be aware, that flagfish can be nippy, and sure, do try them out, but keep an eye on your ottos and your plecos. If you start to see them getting torn up or stressed, you'll know who the culprit is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Flagfish and loaches would most likely eat any small to medium size shrimp so I wouldn't recommend that.

I would also leave the danios out. I currently have 20 green neon tetras in my 55g from Invertz Factory and they look awesome. These guys are smaller than regular neons and they have more of the blue in them. They do have less of the red so just be aware of that if you get them. I would say that a school of 30 of these guys would look great.

Personally I would go with a school of small corydoras rather than loaches. These guys can get pretty big and prefer a sandy substrate to burrow in. There are also prettier killies out there, ie, aphyosemion and fundulopanchax.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great points... THANKS!

Loaches, killfish are out...danio is almost out.

I love the little red shrimp, so I will select with them in mind. Cory's are cool looking, ore tetra's are cool...Wife says she is not a fan, but she has never had them. She wants gold fish, but I am trying act as if I do not hear that request :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Either neons, cardinals, or rummynose would look nice. I would pick rummynose though IMO.

Sorry, i don't know about the proness of jumping.

·
Registered
255 Posts
yeah get cardinals Neons drop like flies...

·
Registered
646 Posts
i agree on the rummynose, although i love neons too. another great choice for a school i think would be boraras. too many choices! i say no to the danios, they are kinda boring looking imo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts