The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am building a 12 gallon long acrylic tank (42L x 10D x 7H). I plan on doing a fair amount of planting with short plants, but I'm wondering if there are certain species of fish that I should stock this tank with that will not mind the fact that it is only 7" tall. Perhaps fish that do a lot of low, lateral swimming and not much up and down? Heck, if this needs to be a shrimp and bottom-feeder tank that's fine, just wondered if I'd be able to get some nice back-and-forth swimmers.

Thanks

-Maxwell

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Most small schooly/shoaly fish, like Boraras species will like the high amount of lateral swim space. They won't really use the up-down.
I think most nano shoalers will work i.e Boraras species, Microdevario kubotai, Sundadanio species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Almost any fish prefers lateral movements over height...

Gobies are great as they don't really go anywhere besides the floor. A group of tetras or rasboras will shoal in the open area of your tank. Hillstream loaches hang on the bottom as well.

Options are basically limited only by the size of the fish.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Another option might be White clouds.They seem to like shallow tanks to breed.You wouldn't need a heater then either.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
A group of pygmy cory's would look nice shuffling around the bottom. Male fancy guppies could be cool for adding lots of color and activity along the top.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I second the Fancy Guppies with pygmy corys. Nice substrate-level activity and top dwellers

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd say a 12g is a little small for rams, but sparkling gouramis or wild-type bettas could be really fun. Otherwise I'd go with small schooling fish, either microrasboras or one of the nano corydoras sp.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I was thinking a type of betta would be fun too. A pair would be interesting to watch them bubble nest. The 7" height would be perfect if you wanted to take on breeding them. Comes with extra responsibilities though and that may not be the plan...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'd say a 12g is a little small for rams, but sparkling gouramis or wild-type bettas could be really fun. Otherwise I'd go with small schooling fish, either microrasboras or one of the nano corydoras sp.
Normally I'd agree. The footprint of this tank is 42Lx10Dx7H. Keeping that in mind I think a small group(3-5) would be ok here. They don't need a lot of free swimming space and tend to be bottom half of the tank dwellers. Mine are almost always within 4-5 inches of the bottom if not right on the bottom utilizing the plant cover there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Dwarf crayfish? I've heard they're territorial, so they need a good amount of ground area, but I assume tank depth doesn't matter at all. Unlike larger crayfish, these guys are supposed to be completely plant safe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts