The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out a little 2.5 gallon tank that my family has had since the 50's. I was going to attempt an Iwagumi a put in some small shrimp... Possibly Cherries or yellow shrimp. But I was wondering what (if anything) I could put in there.. fish wise..
On top of that I'm getting a 5 gallon tomorrow... Why.. I'm not sure. Because I'm poor, with no space... Plus I like nano's alot more than bigger tanks.. My other tank is a 6.6 gallon, that has 3 guppies, 5 leopard cories, 3 oto's, blue pearls shrimp (at least 10) and a zebra nerite. And its only stocked this way because of its large filter and huge footprint. I know I cant do this in a standard 5 gallon.
So... what fish would you suggest? I dont want a single betta... As nice as they are I already have two... Google was basic and I knew the people here would have alot more to suggest than the people on yahoo answers..

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you went endler's I would get maybe 3 for the 2.5g or double that for the 5g. If you only get males they are very small and you won't have to deal with the population explosion that only a few females can cause. If you do want a female, they are much larger (and are pretty much guaranteed to have tons of babies) so I would only go for a pair in a 2.5, maybe 2 pairs in a 5g.

As another suggestion, you could try scarlet badis. They are very colorful and interesting to watch, but it's tough to find females so you might only be able to have 1 male per tank.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you went endler's I would get maybe 3 for the 2.5g or double that for the 5g. If you only get males they are very small and you won't have to deal with the population explosion that only a few females can cause. If you do want a female, they are much larger (and are pretty much guaranteed to have tons of babies) so I would only go for a pair in a 2.5, maybe 2 pairs in a 5g.

As another suggestion, you could try scarlet badis. They are very colorful and interesting to watch, but it's tough to find females so you might only be able to have 1 male per tank.
those are really pretty...
I will either want a peaceful schooling fish.. sort of drab.. to help accent my aquascape.. or a really nice colourful bright interesting fish to be the one and only centerpiece.. So thats a really good fish to keep in mind.. that I didnt even know about...
One male in a 5 gallon?

Keep the options coming... I like to have alot to choose from...
Also that list wouldnt pop up on my computer... Something was wrong..

·
Registered
333 Posts
The list worked fine for me. I downloaded the zip file and opened it in open office's spreadsheet.

Here is a simplified version of the list in pdf format. Not all of these would work, of course, it is just a list of fish good for smaller aquariums. On the right hand side, I left the notes of peoples successes with tanks under 5g.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
My only personal experience with fish in small tanks is a betta. I have thought about setting up a 5-10 gallon tank for an Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish or an Everglade Pygmy Sunfish. They are both small (around 1.5"), shy, pretty fish.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that list totally works now.. Thank you... I have a great love for nano's... So this list is super helpful. Super helpful. I'm thinking of going for a Mustard Gas Halfmoon from Aquastar1 on Aquabid. He has amazing betta's... For the 5 gallon.
And a school of 5 microrasbora nana in my 2.5 gallon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts