The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm planning to change my 10g to a 20g tall, and i'm looking for suggestions about fish. I thought of about 6-8 schwartz corys, 1 dwarf gourami and 1 oto, in addition to those i'm undecided between a school of about 6-8 tiger barbs or 6-8 female bettas, would this work ok? Any other stocking suggestions are welcome

Thanks

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Wow you really need to back down on fish #s, what you're thinking right now would have this tank overstocked 2-3x over.

First of all, a 20H tank has the same footprint as a 10gal tank. So Cories really don't have much room. Adult C. schwartzi are close to 3", so I wouldn't keep any in a tank this size at all. If you want Cories, I'd go with much smaller species, as they should be kept in schools. Pygmy Cories would be ideal.

Otos also are best kept in small schools. You could easily do 3-5 in this tank, as long as you're careful to keep them fed with fresh veggies. www.Otocinclus.com.

I wouldn't keep tiger barbs in a tank this small, either. They need swimming room and can definitely get aggressive when kept in too crowded a space. I kept 8 in my 46gal, and IMO that's the minimum size you'd need for a school of adults. Same issue with bettas. Though you may be able to keep 4 or so in this tank... possibly, depending on what else you have with them (you wouldn't have room for much more). Personally, I never had much luck with betta sororities- I always had aggression and jumpers. It's also not a good idea to mix bettas with gouramis.

I think you'll have more success if you go with dwarf/nano fish for this tank; then you can keep larger numbers. I think a school of dwarf cories and dwarf rasboras or small tetras would be a much more appropriate choice and give you better chances for long term success.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comment lauraleellbp

The reason i didn't want to move to something bigger was because i'd have to change all of my equipment, if i move to a 20g i could use all of my current equipment, filter and lamp.
Perhaps i'll move to a bigger tank, if the budget allows. I saw at my LFS a 29g with a T5 4x21w and a very nice custom-made 65g with T5 4x24w.
Stocking suggestions for these two? on which one could i have some discus?

Thanks

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I wouldn't keep discus in less than a 75gal, personally, as they should be kept in schools and adults are quite large fish. 125gal would be better.

If you get a tank with a 4x T5HO light, you'll also need to budget for pressurized CO2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.