The Planted Tank Forum banner

fish for 75 gallon tank

2393 15
so i know this is a huge question and the opinion will change alot but i figured i would get some ideas.

i have a 75 i am about to set up that will have tons of plants, i know i want small schooling (most important is schooling) fish because i like the way that looks. i want to stay away from the super "flashy" fish like neons and cardinals. (saving those for me 29 in my room) but this is the list i have right now.

List:
15-20 rummynose tetras
15-20 Harlequin Rasbora
6ish cories
3-4 otos
6-10 german rams
2-4 plecos (smaller then 6")

i have a small feeling im getting close to fully stocked with this list. (that is the main reason of this list) so if this looks like a good sized fish load for a 75 then let me know. if you have any advice or anything let me know.

O its filtered with a eheim 2026 pro 2 filter and a magnum 350 with micron cartridge

thanks for the help and advice.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had 2 in a 55 gal and tried to introduce a second pair. The first pair nearly killed them so they went back to the store. Others might have different experience though.

That also might be a few too many plecos. Depending on species and sex they might be aggressive.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Heres my suggestion.
Rams are nice. I have 10 young ones in my 75 with about 10 bloodfin tetras, a couple black mollies, 1 SAE, a couple ottos, and a yoyo loach. I wouldn't want ANY more fish in this tank. I'll probably need to thin out the rams to 2 or 3 pairs once they grow up a bit. Someone told me a pair will stake out about 18" of tank space so they recommended only about 3 pair for my 75. They are sweet fish indeed! I saw some gold ones at the LFS and they are very bright and colorful too.

The bloodfins are jumpers and I have lost more than 10. Mollies also jump too.

I think having only one type of schooling fish is best. Then add something like rams, otos, angles, etc...

I love harlequins, but rummynose are also very cool looking. You have a nice list of fish so its all up to you! Good luck.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go for more than 2 male Rams. I had 6 Rams in my 90gal (4F, 2M) and am down now the subdominant male. One nice thing about Rams is that the females aren't any less colorful- so I'd recommend getting more females than males.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
One nice thing about Rams is that the females aren't any less colorful- so I'd recommend getting more females than males.
x2...I think you'll be ok if you just try to keep the males down to 1 or 2 tops, and just have the rest females. Personally I'd go with 1 male and 4-5 females as his harem.
This may take some careful picking and possible trade ins, but I think you'll have happier fish in the long run.

On the schoolers I typically generate towards a one species large group (as helgymatt said) rather than 2-3 species of smaller groupings. I may sway from that if I can get groups that stick to different levels in the tank. (Top, mid, bottom)
Rummynose and harlequins are some of the best schoolers IME, so you can't really go wrong choosing either/both. I have a school of 40ish harlequins in one tank and between their coloring and behavior they're quite a beautiful display.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the help everyone. i think ill stick with what both laura and jinx said and get mostly femailes. just need to look up how to tell the difference and be sure the LFS has what i need in stock. i hope with the rummynose and harleguins they will stay in there own schools and not mix much but we will see how that goes.

thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have both rummynose and harleguins in my 75. They both school seperately for the most part. The rummies stay in the lower to mid part of the tank, and the rasboras stay in the mid to upper. Being in a 75 the schools do mix though. I really like both fish a lot but, If I did it again I would just pick one species. A 75 just isnt big enough for two schools, And I only have nine of each. I will say that if you want real tight schools go with the rummies. They really stick together. The rasboras school is about twice the size of the rummies with the same number of fish. IMO the rasboras stand out more in the tank. All of the orange and black contrasting deep bodies swimming in the same direction is awesome. You can see rasboras from across the room. The rummies not as much. They kind of just blend in with their mostly grey/silver bodies. Their tail is equally as interesting as their red head in a school though. All the checkered tails whipping from side to side. The rummies move a lot faster than the rasboras also. Well I hope this helps in making your decision With these beautiful fish. Good luck and show us some pics when your setup.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so im almost one hundred percent set on my stock now but we will see im sure it will change.

12-14 rummynose
12-14 harlequim rasbora
5 cories (the small dwarf ones i think is what there called)
3-4 otos
4-5 rams (either 2-F and 2-M or only one Male)
and 4 plecos: L204 flash, L260 Queen Arabesque and some other ones if i can find any good ones

i will start with both the schooling fish and if i dont like the way they look i will transfer one school to my currently fishless 29 gallon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sometimes the german blue ram breeders only ship the males, they keep the females for themselves or ship the males to one store and the females to another to prevent breeding of them.

rummynose are awsome because they keep very tight schools. I once had three different schools in an overstocked tank and it wasn't very pleasent all the time, at times they would be mixed at others they would be in their seperate schools.

In my opinion you need some kind of center piece fish, you've got everything except for that. Angelfish are my favorite and would fit perfectly into a 75, if you decide on angels it's best if you can trade some in at a moments notice incase of agression.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.