The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a heavily planted tanks with cherry shrimp, i like my babies and want to loose the fewest possible ...

I HAD nerites (i am a killer of all things snail apparently) ... so right now just shrimp

while i like watching all the babies swim about ALL over the tank (babies for sale OMG)

I was thinking some rasbora brigitte (aka chili rasbora) and maybe something to eat the alge on the glass/rock

1) how many chili rasbora
2) anything else? ... um not to 'sucker fish looking' as sucker fish creep me out so it needs to be cute...

my tank has a LOT of red plants, and stuff (see my 6 gallon tank in the link) and I JUST added CO2 so it's growing fast (too fast actually).

I'm ASSUMING there is nothing i can add to a 2 gallon 8x8 cube with just a few shrimp but lots of plants.

i love watching colorful fish, but have always had betta or goldfish, so i don't know a lot about fish (though i'm doing great with neoCards of all color)

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
The shrimp will eat algae on rocks, not to mention it looks natural. It is good for them.

If you want to lose few babies, just don't add fish.

This tank is too small for ottos, but you could add ramshorn snails.

I'll personally say if you're willing to sacrifice a good deal of babies, a small school of boraras would look nice in a little tank.

But a cardinal mistake of many shrimp keepers in early stages is to try adding too many things.

My advice to you is KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. Accurate, hurts your feelings every time! Haha.
(The Office)

Micro fish are micro predators. And will hunt down micro babies.

Let the shrimp breed out and fill your tank. You'll never want fish again once you've got 50 shrimp swimming around.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have a tank right now with tigers (blonde OEBT, blue tigers, normal tigers), and orange neos and I have them housed with white clouds. Like everyone has been saying, fish will eat shrimp. However, in my tank, the white clouds don't even get close to my shrimps or shrimplets. They leave them all alone and don't harass them at all. Just my experience and 2 cents, though it could be different for others :)

So my suggestion is perhaps Vietnamese white clouds. They are small, have small mouths (at least mine do right now), and IME leave shrimps alone.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shrimp will eat algae on rocks, not to mention it looks natural. It is good for them.

If you want to lose few babies, just don't add fish.

This tank is too small for ottos, but you could add ramshorn snails.

I'll personally say if you're willing to sacrifice a good deal of babies, a small school of boraras would look nice in a little tank.

But a cardinal mistake of many shrimp keepers in early stages is to try adding too many things.

My advice to you is KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. Accurate, hurts your feelings every time! Haha.
(The Office)

Micro fish are micro predators. And will hunt down micro babies.

Let the shrimp breed out and fill your tank. You'll never want fish again once you've got 50 shrimp swimming around.
I LOVE KISS.... IT'S MY MOTTO...

tanks been up 3.5 months ... and when i don't screw with it it's great

i HAVE 50 shrimp ... they are SO cute...

thought some chili might help keep things balanced.

i got nerites as they don't breed, and are cute and all
- of course it also means when i kill them i have to buy more ... but i'm blaming my betta... i think they annoy them to death ... as i rotate them through the small tanks (had some health issues with betta and don't like to medicate with snails in the tank.. i DO learn :)

downside of nerites... they don't breed and i'm a snail killer

·
Registered
528 Posts
If your looking for a cute small fish to leave your shrimp alone you could try pygmy cories. They are a little but of work since they love clean water but a water change every few weeks as long as your not adding ferts is fine. You will need a small school of them. I would suggest starting with 5. I have them in my tank. They are so funny to watch as they chase each other back and forth. I have also seen them let my shrimp walk all over them... literally. And the baby shrimp population seems to only get bigger and bigger so I really doubt they are hunting them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a THING for clean water, tanks on my dinning table,

i do add ferts.. heavily planted...

how big do pygmy cories get?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I totally agree! Pygmies are the nicest little things, and they even have trouble eating little frozen shrimp, they're so small! They're really not predators at all, and they're nice and active. C. Pygmaeus, or something like that, is the scientific name. You might also find C. Habrosus, or dwarf cories, which are basically the same except for different patterns and a slightly more rounded head. I have some of each, and they don't seem to know the difference, so you could really get both, if you find the Habrosus. I suggest at least 6 little cories, possibly more.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I can vouche for pygmy's. I don't want them in my 5.5 cause I have them in my 10, but I love them in my 10 as well :p. I just wouldn't want to keep them in an open top tank.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tank IS open top.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have one pygmy (he was found in my 75 when I bought it used) and he has been in my cherry shrimp tank for about 8 months now. Little guy is doing awesome and leaves my shrimplets alone. One I would not recommend: Scarlet badis. I figured since they are so small that they would do well. Boy was I wrong. I have 1 of those guys left and he eats my shrimplets, and upsets the adults. He is going back into my 75 today.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would get galaxy rasbora's they don't bother the shrimp. (they look great too)
i LOVE them... now to find some

i love dwarf pea puffers too.. but hear they are out... :(

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
question ... now that i have no snails and my shrimp seem to think cleaning the glass is below them (not even the babies do windows!)

any of those sucker fish ICK :p that don't look scary...

okay, so i'm a bit afraid of fish and sucker fish look like they will suck you to death...

(and my betta try to EAT my hands if i even go near their tank, fish know i'm a wimp)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what oto would be good? (ugh, hate them) so TINY...

i thought endlers were jumpers (all tanks open)

was going to go with chili rasbora.. but i do love endlers ... which is better...

not sure my local guy would buy/trade

where would i get high end in NJ?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so dwarf/pygmy placos

still need something for glass...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.