The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-

I have a 46-gallon planted tank (with pressurized co2). Currently, I have 12 harlequin rasboras and one bristlenose pleco in there. My original idea was to have a larger school of harlequins, 5 or 7 cherry barbs, and one or two larger, elegant fish for size contrast (I was thinking angelfish).

Now I'm thinking of giving the harlequins back to the LFS and getting a school of 9 dwarf neon blue rainbows and angelfish (one, two???)

There's so much contrasting information about how many angelfish are ideal (in terms of minimizing aggression) so I wondered what you all think. And I was just curious what folks' personal opinion is about harlequins & cherries versus neon rainbows.

I love the look, the elegance, and the shimmery-silverness of angelfish in a planted tank with similarly shimmery smaller schooling fish (wow, what an alliteration!!!) But so many people have expressed problems with angelfish that I'm kind of scared off. Given the hardness of my water, I'm not planning on breeding the angels. But perhaps there is a better mid-sized elegant fish (sailfin mollies, anyone?) for my purposes

Thanks all

·
Registered
567 Posts
I know some people recommend single angelfish, but I have not had much luck with them singly. They are nervous and shy and don't live long. I prefer to keep them in at least pairs, and two would be fine in your tank size. The issue comes if you happen to get a male and a female (you can't tell really until they start breeding, unfortunately) and they pair off and start breeding. In that case, they may kill everything that comes near them. That said, a pair of angels of the same sex may fight, and a large group in a large tank may fight too...Or a single angel may be a killer; I had a male that we called Hannibal the Cannibal because he ate any fish we put in his tank. It's hit or miss with them, as with most cichlids. Some are very peaceful and some are hyper-aggressive. They are beautiful fish though, and I think they are at least worth a try. If they don't work out for you, angels are at least pretty easy to re-home.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Another option might be one of the mid-sized rainbowfish species, (Praecox or turquoise would be nice) or perhaps opaline gouramis.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i used to have an angelfish in my 46g tank, and it really wasnt all that exciting. Then, one or two rainbow fish wouldnt be all that interesting or happy. I would recommend some sort of cool gouramis or a peaceful cichlid. Try Pearl Gouramis, or maybe giant kribs?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hahaha I just read your first post again and saw that you were already looking at Praecox rainbows. Good fish choice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I think I'll stay away from angelfish until I can devote an entire tank to them. Too much potential for problems. Gouramis are a great idea!!!

So now I'm looking for opinions: pearl gourami or moonlight gourami (or something else). Also, keep the harlequins and add cherry barbs. Or switch the tank to praecox rainbows and a gourami????

·
Registered
133 Posts
i love pearl gouramis, theyre grat fish.i would recomend getting a male and mabey 2 female because ive noticed single specimines are very shy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got one pearl gourami yesterday at my LFS. The woman at the LFS recommended just one---she said any more than that and they can get aggressive. He's beautiful, but he's hanging out at the bottom of the tank. I was thinking my hard water may be too much for him. But maybe the woman at the LFS was wrong & he just needs some friends????? I also got 6 juli cory cats; they are definitely not shy and seem to have no problem with my water parameters.

Do you think I should

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a group of 8 angels in my tank and they keep their aggression to themselves, and there isn´t really much damage, it´s more "show-off" (all cichlids are like that, angels are actually mellow compared to many cichlids). They only got very aggressive last week because a pair spawned for the first time, but once the fry were gone, they went back to their usual. I have neon tetras, zebra danios, corys, and the angels just totally ignore them, even when they were spawned they kept their aggression intra-species.

Mine are not shy or nervous at all, quite the opposite, they are smart fish, they follow me around, eat from my fingers, always swimming up front. They have grown really nicely from a quarter size to more than silver dollar in 3 months, developed great colors and finnage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
my pearl was shy too when he was alone. i added 4 more and they all get along great. i had them with rasboras and there was no agression at all

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's starting to come to life a little bit more. I think I'll go get him a mate. Now I'm wondering if l'll be overstocked. Hmm, I think I'll start a new thread and ask that question. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts