The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to set up my 34 Gallon Red Sea Max in the near future. I'm curious what the largest fish I could keep in there would be. It'll be a heavily planted tank.

I'm thinking about...

1. GBR (a pair or trio)
2. Dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia, 2)
3. Killiefish (possibly, if I can find a colorful kind)
4. Schooling fish (like cardinal tetra or another colorful tetra)
5. Possibly a livebearing fish like swordtail or guppies

Any suggestions for fish? The tank has really good filtration because I used it for saltwater.

·
Registered
223 Posts
First what are your water parameters?

Are you keeping guppies? I know it sounds strange but some of these fish can have guppy issues. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go for a cichlid like a convict, probably the biggest fish you can fit in that tank plus a rubber lip pleco if they're both small

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First what are your water parameters?

Are you keeping guppies? I know it sounds strange but some of these fish can have guppy issues. :p
Air.

I have guppies in my other tanks... They'll probably find their way into this tank eventually.

Are killiefish aggressive? I think I want the killiefish, GBR, gourami and schooling fish the most. And some guppies ofc.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
There are hundreds of killi varieties, so you would have to research each kind before making a decision about it. Dwarf gourami are known to play badly with guppies, so I'd avoid them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I kept a dwarf gourami with guppies and it wasn't a problem for me but I think all of the dwarfs have different personalities so you would have to try it and watch closely for a bit. Guppies with huge colorful trails could be worse though, I'm not really sure.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so here's what I'm thinking now...

1. A couple of small killifish (I'll figure out if I can mix species)
2. A pair of dwarf gourami
3. A small group (3-4) of pea puffers (I have some, I know how aggressive they aren't)
4. Possibly a few endlers or endler guppies (red)
5. Schooling fish (maybe albino neons)
6. 2-3 GBR

Thoughts? The tank will be HEAVILY planted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts