The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going away for a few days and wanted to set up single cups with frozen food for my fish AND the liquid fertilizers. I figured this was easier for the person who is taking care of my fish, they just have to grab a cup, thaw and dump it in. The question is:

Will the fertilizers make the food toxic? Will it change the food at all? Is it bad to the fish if the ingest the fertilizer?

The fertilizers used are:
Kent Micro
Flourish Trace Elements
Kent Potassium & Iron
I only put 25% of the daily dose in each cup

Please help, this just came to mind and am leaving tomorrow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going away for 4 days, is that too long? One of my tanks is newly planted is newly planted as well, will that make them rot out? (mostly stem plants)

If i stop CO2 and ferts and keep the lights totally off will that do the same basic thing?

If I dont run CO2 and ferts, won't that give me more algea?

does anyone have input on the question about ferts being ingested?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First I want to say my wife was typing for me I had my hands full. So now I can speak for myself
No. It was just an Idea. I thought I could put everything in one cup and make it easier for my father in-law.
I'm just going to let the co2 run day/night just at a lower rate. and I'll keep the ferts in separate cups. Just wanted to know if anyone thought it would be ok.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
don't put ferts in the food.. consuming large amount of nitrate & phosphate & potassium is bad for any organism... People have died consumming too much of it.

Here's a way to make things simple....
Put the lights on a timer...
Put a mixture of ferts (NPK, micros) in a clear plastic squeeze bottle.. Take a marker and mark how much to squeeze out everyday.

oh, as for the food, you can put all the food needed for 4 days in a plastic bag so that way he can't overfeed... It's ok not to feed fish for a week So, it's not a big deal to feed them.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I wouldn't even feed them if it's only 4 days. I went away for two weeks. Minimal lighting (4-5 hours a day), no CO2, no ferts. No fish food.

Came back to a perfectly fine tank.
You are being given Good advice. I leave town once a yr for 8-11 days straight--its not a problem. I feed the fish heavily for a few days or week before I go. Do the water changes as late as possible and over-dose the ferts. When I come back: Everything has been amazingly in order.

You are worrying too much. Just follow what epicfish shared: No Fish Food, No C02 and crank the lights down to 5-6hrs as suggested. Fish are opportunistic feeders and often go days in the wild without eating--they'll be fine. Light, ferts and C02 are all interconnected: Lowering the lights will reduce the drive for C02 which will reduce the drive for the ferts. :proud:

HTH

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just got back in town form a 5 day trip and my fish were not fed the entire time I was gone. The night before I left I did a 50-60% water change on all the tanks (not a small job) and then the next day before I left I fed them all. I came back to happy healthy fish. :) No losses.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went overseas for 2 weeks and also didnt feed my fish.

Just a daily water change a couple of days before you leave, and reduce lighting to prevent algae.

"No Fish Food, No C02 and crank the lights down to 5-6hrs" ---> follow this.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm a bit confused as to why one would reduce the CO2, doing so will almost definitely result(it has) in my tank. I can agree with reducing the light...I'm not sure about removing the ferts.

In my experience if I reduce the CO2 there's still enough residual nutrient in the system to cause a very nice algae outbreak. That said, I'm using a controller and solenoid.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'm away now and I have my father in-law looking after my fish. He will only be feeding every other day and adding my pre mixed fert doses every other day. Lights are on timer and co2 is running consistently at a extremely reduced rate. About 20bpm.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
I have a new thread in "water params" that I'm going to need some help with.
titled "does ph and kh really matter"

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
won't co2 running constantly cause a major PH crash?
i would have turned off co2 and ferts, lowered lighting.

plants don't need co2 injection,and can go years without it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
won't co2 running constantly cause a major PH crash?
i would have turned off co2 and ferts, lowered lighting.

plants don't need co2 injection,and can go years without it.
CO2 running 24/7 doesn't cause a pH crash afaik. After all, that's how 99% of DIY user do it ;) Obviously the pH will change somewhat depending on whether or not the plants are using it up though.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
CO2 running 24/7 doesn't cause a pH crash afaik. After all, that's how 99% of DIY user do it ;) Obviously the pH will change somewhat depending on whether or not the plants are using it up though.
I think it has something to do with Kh too.. KH acts as a buffer and won't let your PH crash all of a sudden. If your kh is extremely low then your ph might fluctuate a lot.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Guys, the answer the the CO2 question is quite simple. If you're not feeding your fish, they're not producing waste. No waste means no nitrogen for your plants. If nobody is feeding the fish or dosing the ferts you will come home to a nice tank full of BGA. Cutting off the CO2 is a rather smart thing to do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.