The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I have created my first terrarium this past week and am hoping to be able to glean some knowledge, insight and feedback as I start this new aspect of my hobby. I snagged a $5 glass bowl and $6 "retro" desk lamp at a garage sale last weekend.

I'm certain I have made all sorts of no-no's, but let's start with the basics. I live in a boreal rainforest and am blessed with nature as my backyard. While walking the dogs, I snagged some dry moss and some other small leafed plant that grows tight together, unnamed as of yet. There appears to have been a small fern that tagged along, in addition to the branch I used for scaping.

I had several large river rocks from previous aquarium projects and used them to lay a hardscape of a drainage pool of moss and pebbles.

I used slate pieces to hold back the soil as I built up the scape and rear mound. I had a bedraggled fittonia that I rescued from a poorly lit window and placed in the bottom soil pool. There is room for one more terrarium appropriate plant in the top left hand side of the scape.

I overwatered it when I first planted it, mistakenly, because I wanted to make sure the soil had settled. I was able to tilt the bowl (after a day or two of panicking) and wick the excess water out. Nothing seems worse for the wear, despite my own best efforts.

I would love any feedback or suggestions for a good plant to place in the top left, care tips or information and experience with maintenance.

I have an LED 5000k lightbulb on for 8 hours at the moment, and have been keeping a close eye on things. I noticed the beginnings of some mold, which I have read is to be expected, and stirred affected the soil with a clean stick to break up the spores for now.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
You might want to try a jewel orchid, Ludisia. They have interesting leaves, grow in soil, and don’t need the intense light of their flashier, epiphyte brethren.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might want to try a jewel orchid, Ludisia. They have interesting leaves, grow in soil, and don’t need the intense light of their flashier, epiphyte brethren.
That sounds beautiful. Their leaves are cool as well, almost like a fancier version of the fittonia and their flowers are so dainty. Thank you for taking the time to check it out! Now I suppose the search begins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts