The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending best part of £100 on plants, you can imagine my frustration at seeing lots of leaves half eaten. I think it might be the Mollys. I was told assassin snails don't eat live plants, is this correct?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your plants might just be transitioning from emersed grown to submersed growth. Even plants that have been submersed prior to adding them to my tank have gone through lengthy transitions due to the change in water from one tank to another. I've never had mollies so I can't tell you if they eat plants or not though. Also, I could be wrong but the plant you have all the way to the left that looks marbled is probably not a true aquatic. I also have doubts about the one all the way to the right that looks similar to a fern. They remind me of plants I've seen at Petco in tubes that they try to pass off as aquatics. I learned that the hard way myself. They look like very nice Terrarium plants though!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Far left:
Fittonia vershaffeltii, Mosaic Plant or Nerve Plant
Not aquatic.

Far right, lowest clumps
Ophiopogon japonicus, Mondo Grass.
Not aquatic, though they do well in a damp setting like a riparium.

Mollies may nip plants, though they are not dedicated vegetarians.
Try feeding them some salad or vegetables from the kitchen. Might supply enough of their needs that they give up nipping the plants.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
And the taller plant on the far right looks like a Chamaedorea elegans seedling, a very nice palm house plant.

I would pull those non aquatics out and take them back to the store to get your money back especially if somebody at the store 'helped' you pick them out. If that isn't possible get a decorative shallow pot and make up a house plant arrangement with them. They are nice plants but won't do well underwater for long. I would get your money back if possible, likely you paid a lot more for them as aquarium plants than you would have as house plants!

·
Banned
89 Posts
If your fish r eating your plants just flush em:icon_excl:icon_excl:icon_excl
If my fish started eating my plants thats what I would do, Just my 2 pennies...

:hihi::icon_twis:hihi::icon_twis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts