The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon.
Filter has been maintained and water changed regularly.
Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites are 0, 0, 0.
PH is 7.

Stock with 2 live plants, 8 hour light days, heater at 79 degrees:
2 female guppies (1 died)
1 male endler (died, sucks!)
6 celestial pearl danio (1 died)
3 Amano shrimp

Water seems perfect, so I'm not sure why fish are dying. Each fish died in about 2 day intervals. I purchased the fish 1-2 months ago.

If there is disease in my water or something, how can I check and diagnose? What can be the culprit? Any suggestions appreciated. I'm afraid to lose more fish.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Hmmm.... The tank is obviously cycled, the water parameters are all fine, probably the Excel then? Have you added anything else to the tank recently? Decorations? Chemicals? Fish food?

EDIT: On second thought, it definitely wasn't the Excel. An overdose would have killed all the fish at once. Not over a period of time.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Did the fish stop eating at all before they died or exhibit any strange behaviour? Or just suddenly died?

How much and how often are you adding excel?

Also, just IMO it seemed like the tank was a little overstocked, but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the fish stop eating at all before they died or exhibit any strange behaviour? Or just suddenly died?

How much and how often are you adding excel?

Also, just IMO it seemed like the tank was a little overstocked, but I'm no expert.
They just suddenly died. Behavior seemed fine before.

I didn't add any new decorations. I added half capful every now and then, like every 3 days or so. I should stop.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I read this post yesterday and was stumped so didn't respond. But with that amount of stocking for so little water volume, I was curious about the 0 nitrate result. Is your test kit in date? What kind of kit (liquid/strip) are you using for the nitrate test? I know you said you change water regularly - how often are you changing it and what volume (i.e., 25%, 40%)? And did the deaths happen to coincide with water change(s)? I'm wondering if there could have been pH swing, temperature swing or anything to shock them (though I'd have expected to see it in your amanos...).

Sorry - it's a lot of questions but I'm stumped!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think a half capfull is too much. I don't have the excel bottle with me atm, but i remember it saying that each capfull is 5ml. And unless its right after a large water change (40% or more), you should only dose something like one capful for every 50gals. I have a 20gal and I dose a little less than a half cap (~2ml). For a 6 gal you should only be dosing less than 1ml.. so very very little. Even if it's not everyday, you shouldn't overdose per day, if that makes any sense. If you can get a pastuer pippette, about 20 drops is equivalent to 1ml.

With that dosing amount, that's probably what killed your fish, though I don't know the exact physiology of how excel affects fish.

They just suddenly died. Behavior seemed fine before.

I didn't add any new decorations. I added half capful every now and then, like every 3 days or so. I should stop.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
How often have you been dosing the Excel? Did the deaths coincide with your dosing of the Excel?

·
Registered
529 Posts
And you have NO Nitrates? Well you're going to have more then dead fish if you dont get some Nitrogen in there.

Are you testing with strips or Liq test kit?
Huh? How so? Do you mean from the perspective that the cycle maybe never happened and the readings are all false? Otherwise, no nitrates won't kill a fish... plants maybe, but not fish.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Huh? How so? Do you mean from the perspective that the cycle maybe never happened and the readings are all false? Otherwise, no nitrates won't kill a fish... plants maybe, but not fish.

Thats why I said

"Well you're going to have more then dead fish if you dont get some Nitrogen in there" meaning the plants will die as well.

I think its a false reading, there should be SOME nitrates in the tank because there are fish in there. Now, yes the plants could have consumed the N. BUT with the stock he mentioned on top of this being a 6 gallon Edge there should be plenty on N.

Nitrites kills fish, Nitrates (appropiate) levels WILL not kill Fish 20-40ppm is where mine consistatly stay. And I have to dose N as well.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Im with Gemi on this one, how old is your test kit? Seems your kit may be bad, and its not picking up any readings so it would SEEM that your water is fine. When in fact it may not be. Try bringing some water to your LFS and have them test it for you.

MAKE sure OP that you SHAKE the Crap out of bottle 2 (Nitrates) shake it Vigerously for 30 secs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just turned on the light and saw my guppy being weird. Hovering really low nearly resting on top of the gravel. It seems like its blind. I put a few food in there to see how she would react and she started swimming around and ran into the glass :icon_excl Something def isn't right, color seems off too, and more pink than usual gills..(?)

The water does seem fine according to the tests. I'm using the API test kit and it wasn't always 0,0,0. After cycling it came down to that.

Sigh, I'm going to do another set of tests but I just don't think thats the problem.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
With some fish, there is a slight discoloration after the lights come on. This is a natural defense mechanism in the wild. They lose their color so they can hide from prey. He might have still been asleep (hovering)

test again and SHAKE that bottle.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you find that your test kit is not the problem, you should still do a water change in case of excel overdose (though it seems I'm the only one who thinks that could be a possible cause).

Did the deaths start before or after you started using excel?

·
Registered
529 Posts
(though it seems I'm the only one who thinks that could be a possible cause).

I think it's possible, too, and was offering other avenues to search since you covered Excel dosing.

Only other thing I can think of is some contaminant perhaps has been introduced into the tank. ANd now that a guppy may be symptomatic (though the lights just coming on could be a factor), I'm thinking massive water change, taking care to match temperature and pH; and run carbon if at all possible in the filter in case of contaminants. And after the massive w/c, monitor for a mini-cycle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ran water tests again and this time I had Ammonia of 1.0ppm!, nitrites 0, nitrates 0. Ammonia increase could be the dead fish body I can't find. I think my shrimps ate it.

I just changed 70% of the water and added the right amount of dechlorine supplement.

Hopefully my fish don't die..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you find that your test kit is not the problem, you should still do a water change in case of excel overdose (though it seems I'm the only one who thinks that could be a possible cause).

After, but I don't think I used that much to kill them either....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.